ProPlus2 Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USFishin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I just got back from a cruise where we did some diving and now I have a dead ProPlus2. It worked fine for all of our dives and then after the last one when I took it out of the bag back in the room it was dead. When I got home I changed the battery out to see if that was the problem (when it worked it had a full battery meter so I didn't think that was the prob). I've had it for 2 years and 1 month now and only have 60 or so dives on it and it's now out of waranty. I am an electrical engineer and being that it is now out of warranty I decided to pop the cover off of it to see if there was anything obviously wrong with it. Sure enough once inside there was quite a bit of green corosion on the circuit board underneath the buttons. So apparently the seal at the buttons was faulty and letting water in. I cleaned the corosion off with rubbing alcohol hoping that it was just shorting out and it would start working again. Unfortunately it's still dead and I need to send it in to Oceanic for repair.

Anyone else have a problem similar to this before? Anyone have any idea how much they're gonna charge me to fix it? I love the unit and I'd hate to have to pay a bunch of money to fix it after having it for such a short period of time. Luckily I can use my wife's Atom 2.0 in the meantime.

We have the same computer. Before our last trip we had our gear serviced by our local shop, had them change out the battery. We had ours since 2005 and had approx the same amount of dives you had and no problems. Do you have a local shop that can fix it?

I contacted the local shop and they said they'll just have to send it in to get fixed. Based on my dissasembly (and I am no expert) it's going to need a new circuit board and the button seals/buttons replaced. I don't think the local shops do much more to repair them than changing out batteries etc. I think it's more of a technical repair than a dive shop would do.

I hope you're right. I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks I was just afraid of having to pay an arm and a leg to get it replaced.

I'm NOT gonna say it will happen in your case :shakehead:
But my experiance with Oceanic is even way better than that.
Give them a call.

cheers,

Evert

Alright I called them and explained the problem. I'm sending it in and they're replacing it (with a refurbished one I am assuming) that has a 1 year warranty. It's gonna cost me 150 bucks. Not too bad I guess.

Back
Top Bottom