PROPLUS2 computer interface...POS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gdaaym8z

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, I need to vent. I have purchased TWO PROPLUS2's, one for myself and one for my wife. I also spent an EXTRA $100.00 for the USB interface cable.....I can not believe that with all of the technology that goes into the dive computer that this piece of junk cable and connection system is the best that they could come up with. I can not get it to "sync" or handshake up with either of the computers. I am ready to throw the stupid cable out the window. The three prongs that are spring loaded to push up against the terminals in the DC are going in three differen't directions, the middle one retracts into the housing and doesn't pop back out.....argh. I am definately going to look for a new computer that has the wireless data transer capabilities. I am yes aware that there are several posts on this topic....I only wish I had seen them before making this purchase.

Call Oceanic Customer Support. I had the same issues with my first cable and they replaced it, now I don't have any problems.

I do agree with you that the 3 spring loaded prongs are not the best and wish they made a more solid connection.

On the positive side, I love my (2) Pro Plus 2 computers and if I needed another, I'd buy them again.

I wouldn't let the crappy data connection influence your using of the Pro Plus 2 computers. I agree the connection is definitely sub-par. It sounds like you have a bad cable. Even a good cable is a little tricky to get to work. Once you get the hang of it you can make the connection and then gently set it down without the cable coming loose.

I agree that the computer itself is great, I like the large display and the integrated compass. When I originally made this post was after an hour of messing with the cable and not having any luck. I had a "friend" who is suposedly an electronics whiz take a look at it and he tried to remove the back plate of the cable and stripped the screw heads....argh. So now I don't even have the option of returning it....one bad choice after another. I have already ordered a new cable and will cross my fingers that it will work this time. I did take both computers with me to the LDS and we used an employee's cable to make sure that they would both "sync" up and they did. So must have been bum cable. Anyway I appriciate everyones input. Have a great day!

I agree that the computer itself is great, I like the large display and the integrated compass. When I originally made this post was after an hour of messing with the cable and not having any luck. I had a "friend" who is suposedly an electronics whiz take a look at it and he tried to remove the back plate of the cable and stripped the screw heads....argh. So now I don't even have the option of returning it....one bad choice after another. I have already ordered a new cable and will cross my fingers that it will work this time. I did take both computers with me to the LDS and we used an employee's cable to make sure that they would both "sync" up and they did. So must have been bum cable. Anyway I appriciate everyones input. Have a great day!

Dude - don't give up! Call 'em, explain the issue . . . They may still replace your cable if the time span is short enough. Tell them you ordered one, and they may allow credit. Just don't 'take it' without talking to the man!

Don't overlook the drivers for the cable. I believe you can download the latest drivers off Oceanic's website. I had a problem getting my cable to work at first as well, but tech support was able to clear it up in a jiffy.

Ken

Make sure you have the right cable their are two different versions of the cable and they look the same. You want the older USB cable.

As others have said. It's at least worth a shot at getting a refund on the cable. You have nothing to lose!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom