proper weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear kwaite

I'm gonna make this really easy. I live in Miami so the water here is the same.

First of all, the summer water temperature is 85-89 degrees! consider using a thermal skin instead of a 2mm suit. You can actually overheat in a wetsuit. Heck I didn't use one all winter! Yes, I realize that some of you are more cold blooded than others and will want a suit. Personally, the suit makes me colder on the boat waiting for the next dive and I find them exhausting--bending limbs against the rubber can really tire you out.

The thermal skin is much better protection against the sun--if you are from up north, you will burn in 30-60 minutes and you can burn even with spf 36 sunscreen!

OK, if you're average size, use 6 lbs and add an extra two for the aluminum tank (80 cu ft). If your smallish, try 5 lbs + 2 or biggish 7 lbs +2. If you wear that suit try 7+2.

It's not scientific, its not based on salinity or density. It just usually works. You can always stuff an extra, extra 2 pounds in the other pocket and still have a ditchable belt. The boats have plenty of extra weights.

This isn't rocket science! And NO NASTY RESPONSES FROM THE REST OF YOU GUYS!!!!!!

Hope you enjoy yourself.

Larry Stein

With water that warm, I'd be tempted to get the bubble bath out.

Originally posted by kwaite
I just successfully completed my open water certification dives. I dove in a quarry in Indiana, which is (obviously) fresh water. I used a 5 mm wetsuit, and carried 16 pounds of weight. In June, I'm planning on diving in the Keys. I'll (obviously) be in salt water, and will be wearing a 2 mm shorty. Any advice on how much weight I should try?

With a 5mm suit, unless you are fairly large physically 16 lbs seems like a rather hefty amount of weight. In the same type suit I wear 10 lbs in salt water. I'm 5'9", 175 lbs.

Based on 16 lbs in a full suit, try about 8 in shorty.

Expect Keys water to be about 75 in June.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom