Proper weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed diving last weekend at the lake I had a hard time keeping a good trim. (Had to really think about it or I lost it!) It was also hard to STAY off the bottom, even with air in my BC- so next time I go I'll try using a bit less weight! (Glad I bought a few in 2 lbs incriments!)

Thanks!

Kristey

The padi numbers turn out not to be too bad for me. I am 5 9" 150 and in salt water with a 7mm farmer john 18 pounds is just right (10% + 3-5).

In fresh water and a single piece 3/2 full i I am neutral with 4 pounds and an empty tank.

As far as water temps go, I get slightly cold at 78 degrees for an hour in my full 3mm. At 84 degrees I generally feel pretty warm the whole time.

I live in texas so my body is not acclimated to the cold at all and I get cold very easily.

We just returned from our first set of dives in salt water: Key West and Grand Cayman. Seems we didn't need wet suits at all: water temps were in the high 80s F. With a steel tank and 10lbs of weight for my 165lbs I had no difficulty with descents or bouyancy; my kids (65lbs each) with 6lbs and a steel tank were equally comfortable. My thanks to everyone who "weighed in" with thoughts and ideas on proper weighting and wet suit thickness opinions.
We're going to return to the murky waters of our local fresh water quarry to practice and improve our skills. The thought of dragging 17-25 pounds of weight and putting on a full 7mm after being in the Caribbean....:eek: but it does make us reallllyyyyyyyy appreciate the warm clear waters!

One other comment: we all got physically ill at depth on our first dive in Key West. My kids thought that the air "tasted funny" when we hooked up our regs to the steel tanks. I couldn't tell whether it was the steel "taste" or residual salt water or what, but 20-25 minutes into the dive, at 45-50 feet I was overcome with nausea and the dry heaves. Not a great feeling trying to breath, ascend, and barf all at the same time! After about 20 minutes topside, I finally stopped feeding the fishes. All of the divers had similar feelings; none of the snorkelers on the dive boat experienced these problems even though the dive captain told us that the air was fine, it was the choppy seas that was making the scuba divers feel ill. I won't use this operator again.

Grand Cayman (Red Sail Sports) was spectacular: a 60-80 foot dive first, then a dive to the wreck of the Doc Paulsen at 57 feet. We're definitely goin g back to the islands.....as soon as I can save up the $$$$$$$$$:D

Bye for now.

Choppy seas would not affect you that way once you got off of the boat and into the water. I think you got bad air.

Who was the operator? I want to be sure to steer clear of them.

redseal once bubbled...

One other comment: we all got physically ill at depth on our first dive in Key West. My kids thought that the air "tasted funny" when we hooked up our regs to the steel tanks. I couldn't tell whether it was the steel "taste" or residual salt water or what, but 20-25 minutes into the dive, at 45-50 feet I was overcome with nausea and the dry heaves. Not a great feeling trying to breath, ascend, and barf all at the same time! After about 20 minutes topside, I finally stopped feeding the fishes. All of the divers had similar feelings; none of the snorkelers on the dive boat experienced these problems even though the dive captain told us that the air was fine, it was the choppy seas that was making the scuba divers feel ill. I won't use this operator again.

Bye for now.

I'd like to wait for a response to a letter that I wrote to the scuba operator in Key West before I publish their name; wouldn't want to be guilty of libel, particularly if they address the issue satisfactorily. Stay tuned.....

you say you cant rent a went suit in your kids izes hum thats strang shops around hear carry evrything from kids small to XXL surely one f them would semi fit them enough in NC a 7mm suit is to much for ocean diving so i know its too much in fla

redseal once bubbled...
I'd like to wait for a response to a letter that I wrote to the scuba operator in Key West before I publish their name; wouldn't want to be guilty of libel, particularly if they address the issue satisfactorily. Stay tuned.....

Bad air is fairly unlikely, especially if you used a regular dive shop (rather than Johnny's garage). Despite what was said previously, folks can and do get seasick underwater.

btw- I'm shocked and amazed that an operator let your kids off the boat with a steel tank and that much weight. They should have had no weight at all. I guarantee that they, and most likely you too, are unconsiously kicking your feet during your buoyancy check (if you did one).

I'm sorry to keep harping this but you guys are hazardously overweighted, with and without suits. I don't want to read about you in the paper.

Tom

Tom,
Thanks as always for your thoughts. Interestingly enough, both dive operators (Key West and Grand Cayman) gave the girls steel tanks, but they wore 6 pounds in KW, 4 pounds in GC. We did do a quick buoyancy check at GC; in KW we were told not to delay descending due to the surface chop.

My nausea came after about 20-25 minutes at depth and it came out of nowhere. 15-20 minutes after being back on the boat, en route to the second dive site, the nausea and fish-feeding was done completely, yet the seas were still choppy. So I'm still leaning toward bad air, especially since none of the snorkelers got ill but all of the divers did.

We're signed up to do the Adventure Dives (for the kids) and AOW for me (they REALLY don't want to do the deep or night dives at the Bainbridge Quarry in PA; it's dark and cold even at 30 feet, but they do want to practice peak performance buoyancy, navigation, and search and recovery. We'll get better with this whole weight thing, I know it.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

redseal once bubbled...
Tom,
Thanks as always for your thoughts. Interestingly enough, both dive operators (Key West and Grand Cayman) gave the girls steel tanks, but they wore 6 pounds in KW, 4 pounds in GC. We did do a quick buoyancy check at GC; in KW we were told not to delay descending due to the surface chop.

My nausea came after about 20-25 minutes at depth and it came out of nowhere. 15-20 minutes after being back on the boat, en route to the second dive site, the nausea and fish-feeding was done completely, yet the seas were still choppy. So I'm still leaning toward bad air, especially since none of the snorkelers got ill but all of the divers did.

We're signed up to do the Adventure Dives (for the kids) and AOW for me (they REALLY don't want to do the deep or night dives at the Bainbridge Quarry in PA; it's dark and cold even at 30 feet, but they do want to practice peak performance buoyancy, navigation, and search and recovery. We'll get better with this whole weight thing, I know it.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Bad air is certainly possible, if unlikely, the usual contaminant is oil or carbon monixide, certainly not good. If the compressor is poorly maintained, it can happen.

As to to the weight thing, will you do me a favor? Next time you guys are in the water with an instructor or DM, ask for a buoyancy check. When you do the buoyancy check, follow their instructions except do one additional thing: cross your ankles. This will stop unconscious fin movement. See if it doesn't make a huge difference.

Tom

:) Okey, dokey.
We're planning a few dives this weekend at the quarry. I'll try 5 pounds less than normal and see. Using the PADI recommendations I should use 10% of body weight plus 7-10 lbs for a full 7mm suit plus five for air use but minus five for fresh water. This means I'll need 23-26 pounds (and I've been using 25 the last couple of times down). I'll try 20 and get back to you.

Again, thanks for the benefit of your experience.

Back
Top Bottom