Proper ISO setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnet says the P5100 has decent noise control to ISO800. The sensor according to them is the same as in the Canon A650.

"The camera does a decent job of suppressing noise up to about ISO 800--though the softness starts at about ISO 400--and if you're sticking to smaller prints, you can push it to about 1,600."

I get decent results to ISO400 with my 570 but I can see the noise (grain) increase as the dial is spun. The camera shoots best at ISO100 but I will sometimes take it to 200 where the increase is barely perceptible, especially at deeper depths or trying to shoot without the strobe.

Why do digital cameras have tiny sensors in little cameras and bigger sensors in bigger cameras when not long ago, little or big, all cameras had the same size sensor---35mm film?

N

Last edited:
I leave the ISO at the lowest setting all the time. I'll sometimes experiment with conditions but haven't found bumping the ISO worth doing.

Compact i wouldnt dream of going above iso200 as noise is horrible.

Ambient light on my SLR 100-800 depending on available light.

Back
Top Bottom