Proper ISO setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am just learning my new camera (first with manual controls). I was wondering how many of you adjust your ISO setting based on dive conditions?
Do you normally just"
1. set it on auto
2. set it to a particular ISO
3. Adjust it based on viz, and what/how you are shooting (WA, macro, normal)

thanks

Agree with fisheyeview. Does depend a little on your camera some of the high end DSLR like Nikon D300 and up seem to do well up to ISO-400.

I typically use 100 unless there is some reason not to like a wide angle shot that is deep with little ambient light and adjusting the F-stop/shutter speed is not enough.

I always set it on ISO 100 to ensure that no noise creeps into the pics. Most point and shoot cameras have little noise at that ISO speed.

Regards,

Bill

Scotty, congrats on your new camera, what kind did you get?
I went with the nikon p5100 and ikelite housing. I got a good price on it (I think). Actually I got sent the p5000 and have to return it to get the correct item.

hey scotty,

the P5100 does not have good high ISO performance, like everyone said, stick to ISO 100. It also offers ISO 64, see if you notice a difference when doing your macro close-ups.

Like someone mentioned, If you are shooting wrecks in low-light, you'll need a minimum shutter speed to prevent camera shake blur.you may have to increase your ISO to get this.

the only other time I'd tell you to bump it up is if you are shooting moving objects (fast moving fish, sea lions, etc.) with ambient light (not fully lit by the strobe of flash).

In that case, you'll want a fast enough shutter speed to freeze motion. Once you are shooting wide open, at F2.8, sometimes bumping the ISO is the only way to get a fast enough shutter speed. In this case, I would try not to go over ISO 400 on your camera.

Scott

I am just learning my new camera (first with manual controls). I was wondering how many of you adjust your ISO setting based on dive conditions?
Do you normally just"
1. set it on auto
2. set it to a particular ISO
3. Adjust it based on viz, and what/how you are shooting (WA, macro, normal)

thanks

I have always(always 100% of the time) used the lowest setting-80- on my A570....for every or any condition....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom