Prompt advice on Smart Com!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deco Dave

Reaction score
My friends SMARTCOM has been replaced once before due to the world wide recall. He received his replacement computer and within 4 weeks it stuffed up again. Has anyone else had these same problems if so what course of action could we take?
1. He wants a refund but they won't give him one-we are both instructors and rely heavily on these computers for our job as we do a lot of deep dives.
2. They offered him a replacement..but what if it stuffs up again (especially at depth!)
3. Or they offered him a wrist airZ nitrox which is nowhere near as good as the smart com.

If anyone has any advice e.g. legal etc please let me know today as we are in desperate need to know what we should do.
PS we are in Australia if that helps

Thanks for your replys in advance

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with the AirZ Nitrox.

In general for most merchandise purchased in North America, you can return it during a specific time period from the shop, particularly if you bought it from a retail shop. Certain credit cards give you additional protection against bad products, such as Amex extended warranties and buyer's assurance here in the USA that will arbitrate against bad vendors.

If beyond a return period of the vendor, doesn't it have a full warranty? Failure to abide by one's own warranty is a job for the Better Business bureau or even the Attorney General's office.

Sorry I didn't mean that the airZ nitrox was crap, I think scubapro is a good brand.What I meant was that we think the features and the console setup are a lot more convenient than the wrist (my opinion:)

Saturation,

If you prefer a console mount AI computer it is not for me to tell you otherwise. But, I dive a non-ai Uwatec Pro Nitrox wrist mount and have had good results with it. For that reason, I think the wireless Air Z nitorx would be a good bet.

Try not to get too wound up about the whole thing. You can really blow a lot of time, effort and money on something like this. So, try to find a reasonable way out of the problem.

I've done around 10 dives after recieving my new Smart COM and have had no problems with the unit. Admittedly, the deepest I've taken it is about 24M, but it has been in water temps ranging from 4C to 30C.

Maybe SP will give you a credit...get some more regs or something...a bottom time instead maybe.

When my SmartCom was recalled I spoke to Eric (Uwatec/ScubaPro Cust. Service) and he was open to almost anything to keep me happy. They even shipped two Computers (the SmartCom replacement and an Air Z Nitrox) so I could compare them both and return the one I didn't want. And he did it all without even a credit card deposit! (In case your wondering, I chose the Air Z Nitrox.)

It would be interesting to know what exactly your replacement SmartCom is or isn't doing.

I would first check to make sure your freind's smart com is really one of the new production uints and that an old one was not sent by mistake. The serial number on the new smart coms is located under the clear screen guard in the upper left of the LCD screen. The first 4 numbers of the serial number should also be 0307 or higher.

SP will replace the unit under warranty and will no doubt do so again in the very unlikely event he gets a third one that dies, but I doubt he will be able to get a refund on it.

Back
Top Bottom