Progression into Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point! I already dive dry and with the water temps wouldn't go with anything else. I would say for future diving I am looking to dive deep for ocean dives. Some fantastic dives I want to do around my location in depths of up to 80m. However, I would say the greatest interest is to start cave diving, been at a few cave entrances in the ocean that lead into small systems and always wanted to further explore where they lead. I imagine with the inland caves in Australia is where I will do most of my diving for caves and its only a few hours away.

Probably the main point to take away is that I am going to follow a path that leads towards exploring places few have been.

Tech diving requires you to carry more gas so you'll do the AN/Deco classes in either doubles or sidemount - two different roads, one is mainly open ocean and the other is mainly caves.

Equipment for both roads is different - if you are primarily going to be in caves wearing a drysuit, you ought to train dry in sidemount. You ought to train with someone that is very familiar with the sidemount system you choose - each system sets up differently and spending time guessing where the baseline setup is can be frustrating.

TDI offers a sidemount class, I would take that as a get your feet wet class and spend time refining your setup, before you take ITT.

Backmount doubles for me was really easy, sidemount, not so much at first

However, I would say the greatest interest is to start cave diving, been at a few cave entrances in the ocean that lead into small systems and always wanted to further explore where they lead. I imagine with the inland caves in Australia is where I will do most of my diving for caves and its only a few hours away.
If you want to cave dive in Australia, your best bet would be the CDAA otherwise you'd have to crossover anyway

If you want to cave dive in Australia, your best bet would be the CDAA otherwise you'd have to crossover anyway

I have looked into this and I can do a combined TDI cave and CDAA certificate for each level of certification. Was thinking this would be more well known throughout the world, for when I go travelling. (Its like $149 to add the TDI cert onto of the CDAA)

I have looked into this and I can do a combined TDI cave and CDAA certificate for each level of certification. Was thinking this would be more well known throughout the world, for when I go travelling. (Its like $149 to add the TDI cert onto of the CDAA)
I can't imagine that you would have any problems with CDAA qualifications elsewhere. The cave diving community is tiny. Everyone knows someone who knows someone you know.

Tech diving requires you to carry more gas so you'll do the AN/Deco classes in either doubles or sidemount - two different roads, one is mainly open ocean and the other is mainly caves.

Equipment for both roads is different - if you are primarily going to be in caves wearing a drysuit, you ought to train dry in sidemount. You ought to train with someone that is very familiar with the sidemount system you choose - each system sets up differently and spending time guessing where the baseline setup is can be frustrating.

TDI offers a sidemount class, I would take that as a get your feet wet class and spend time refining your setup, before you take ITT.

Backmount doubles for me was really easy, sidemount, not so much at first

Backmount is quite suitable for the type of cave environments that beginning cave divers should be going into.

Backmount is quite suitable for the type of cave environments that beginning cave divers should be going into.

This was the assumption I was under. My thoughts where to do my cave course on with backmount and follow it up with a sidemount specific course after. Thinking that every dive is different and will give me the ability to pick the best configuration for the dive.

I found the drysuit course helpful, but that is mainly because I live in south florida and did not have a mentor that could teach me the ropes. I also did not have anywhere to rent a drysuit from....

@custureri is the go to guy for that in south Florida.

@Alekath ,

A good deep course is going to include topics of gas density and why GUE standard gasses make so much sense (max END of 30 meters and a recommended gas density of 5.2 g / L which with air is just slightly over 30 m).

Honestly, I'd suggest just taking UTD Essentials or GUE fundies next. Not sure what is closest to you in Tasmania.

@custureri is the go to guy for that in south Florida.
There are UTD instructors, like Ryan, as well as GUE and TDI (and more) instructors in south florida that would be good to take a drysuit primer from. However, most rec divers aren't running in those circles. Still hard to find a suit to rent in the area.

You progression should follow about the following steps:
1 - Improve your credit score - very important
2 - Make sure you have enough equity in your house if you are thinking of a rebreather
3 - Eat ramen and pancakes for a year to save for gear
4 - Find understanding girlfriend/wife - very important
5 - Learn to hide real equipment costs from girlfriend/wife - more important
6 - Keep your 15 year old vehicle with 460,000 miles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom