Procedure for vomiting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The accidental solution I found was nasal irrigation....I found that after irrigating every 3 hours or so on a marathon flight from Florida to Fiji, that the irrigating had changed the inflammation levels in my inner ear, and the 8 foot seas we experienced in in the long boat ride from Nadi to Beqa Lagoon Resort, had absolutely zero effect on me

Dan,

What is nasal irrigation?

Dan,

What is nasal irrigation?

Sorry, I meant to put some links in for this :)
  • NeilMed Sinus Rinse Kit - Walmart.com the least expensive and very effective. Use double strength --2 of the saline packets per bottle, one bottle per nostril.....
  • The pricey solution, and "slightly better" than the Walmart solution above....the Grossman system HydroMed This site also has quite a bit of irrigation ideas and science, but not really aimed at the issue divers face.

Costco has the sinus rinse kits, although I have never heard of them helping for sea sickness.

Costco has the sinus rinse kits, although I have never heard of them helping for sea sickness.
I don't believe this was ever considered by the manufacturers....but the concept makes sense....much of seasickness can be traced to inflamation in the middle ear, and many people with allergies bothering them are extra likely to get sea-sick....also, when you take a triptone or a dramamine, they tend to decongest your middle ear and your sinus and eustacheon tubes, in a very similar fashion to the way the double strength saline solution does.....

Best way to vomit is to signal OOA and use your buddy's reg. This works best if their gear is set up to donate the primary :wink:

I don't believe this was ever considered by the manufacturers....but the concept makes sense....much of seasickness can be traced to inflamation in the middle ear, and many people with allergies bothering them are extra likely to get sea-sick....also, when you take a triptone or a dramamine, they tend to decongest your middle ear and your sinus and eustacheon tubes, in a very similar fashion to the way the double strength saline solution does.....

Hi Dan,

I am not so sure. People refer to the location in the head where the organs of motion are "the middle ear". But in fact they have nothing to do with the ear at all. They are separate, self-contained organs and are not open to outside air at all. I think that, if doing a nasal irrigation improves seasickness, it is due to the placebo effect. (After all, people do report that, after using a useless placebo on their head, it makes their hair grow!)

Hi Dan,

I am not so sure. People refer to the location in the head where the organs of motion are "the middle ear". But in fact they have nothing to do with the ear at all. They are separate, self-contained organs and are not open to outside air at all. I think that, if doing a nasal irrigation improves seasickness, it is due to the placebo effect. (After all, people do report that, after using a useless placebo on their head, it makes their hair grow!)

The thing is, I discovered this accidentally.....After 36 hours or whatever the fly time was from Palm Beach to Fiji, I had been irrigating close to every 3 hours.....when I got on the rough boat trip, I fully expected to be massively sea sick....but it never happened.

I can also tell you, that every time I take Triptone to prevent sea sickness, that I feel my sinus shrink and get clearer..not that I normally am stuffed up, as I don't have any obvious allergies.

I can also say, regarding the middle ear, that when my wife's allergies get really bad, it DOES effect her middle ear, sometimes even causing nausea and sometimes effecting her balance....Asperin will reduce the inflamation, and this will end the nausea ( which it can also help with on a rough boat trip)....

I can't give you the exact mechanism, but I have shared this with many other divers, and most got the same result that I did.

Hi Dan,

You do realize that this ruins any placebo effect... :no: :D

Back
Top Bottom