Problems with the Mini Mini Speargun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trey9123

Registered
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I dive a Mares Reg, BC, and Fins. Thats like half of my gear so I guess you could say that I'm pretty much a Mares kind of guy. So when I decided I wanted to try spearfishing, I decided to order a Sten Mini Mini from Find Scuba Gear and Diving Equipment at the Largest Scuba Equipment Retail. This was about a year ago. On the first dive I ever took it out on, when I reinserted the loader into the handle for the first time one of the plastic flaps which hold it in broke off and I did not notice. Needless to say the loader was lost. I only fired it once that trip and was never able to load again. I ordered another loader and rigged up a wrist strap and was able to use it on a few subsequent dives and by few, I mean 6 with ok results. Then last week, I took it on it's 8th dive and when I tried to load it for the first time, the back end of the spear, where the diameter changes, snapped off in the barrel of the gun. On top of that, when the spear snapped, it jackknifed and bent out the side of the muzzle, and the tip slipped out of the loader and cut my hand. Now, this gun went on 8 dives, 2 of which it was useless on. It was fired probable 12 to 15 times and it is pretty much totally destroyed. I am very good with gear, I read and follow instructions. I take extremely good care of everything I buy because frankly scuba gear is expensive and I only want to buy everything once. I just need to know what I can do to make this right.

Last edited:
Trey,

First I am sorry you have had all these problems with this gun. The Sten has been on the worldwide market for many years and is a great seller, we have not had a problem with defects on the Sten.

Since it is only a year old it is still under warranty. You should have Divers Direct send it back to us, or contact our customer service department and we can inspect and repair the gun.

Regards

Phil

Well as far as the gun goes, there all the same when it comes to pneumatics. the loader should be teatherd to a laynyard.

If does not work send it in, when ya take it out, shoot it alot to figure all the ways you can load it. One hand must stay afew inch's above the muzzel so the spear does not bend when inserting the spear in the shaft.

Now My wife solo dives with one, and has brought back a lingcod everyday now during the season.

Gotta go shoot my ling for the day now, as we only have three day left

Happy Diving

Sorry, my comment earlier were a little harsh. I have never had anything but excellent luck with Mares products. I am just frustrated that this product has given me such a headache. I am contacting Divers Direct, and I will let everyone know how well Mares customer service deals with this. This will be the first time I have ever had to contact them.

I own a Mares Sten Mini-mini 16.5"(41cm) & I had the same issue with 1 of my plastic flaps on the speargun's handle broke off. The good news, the last remaining plastic flap is good enough to keep my loader inside the speargun's handle and not fall out. Beside that the speargun works fine.

Back
Top Bottom