Problems with the Halcyon Explorer 9/21 watt HID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're a Halcyon dealer, why not just ship them back to Halcyon?

That is what I did. I am just trying to figure out if anybody else has experienced the same problems as we did. Their service has been outstanding so far.

Leaking from where, the canister, lighthead, cord?

I've only got a few dives on mine, but so far no problems at all, and the light stays bright and steady. Water here is 45-55 degrees F.

I just recently had the one of the cables inside of the cord of my 9/21 (where it meets the battery canister cap) break inside of the boot. I noticed that the lamp was turning on/off when I moved the cord. I shipped it to Halcyon and they repaired it and sent it back the same day! While I was mildly dissappointed at the failure, you really can't ask for better customer service!!

I ordered this model, I hope mine comes in without defects... Is this something that Halcyon has noted on their website for this model CAN light?

If so, I wouldn't have purchased this model...

MG

I ordered this model, I hope mine comes in without defects... Is this something that Halcyon has noted on their website for this model CAN light?

MG

MG, I just looked at Halycon's website and they don't indicate any recalls. I really wouldn't say that it was a defect. Out of fairness, my light cord issue could very well have been my bad as I could have pinched it myself putting on my gear on a rocking boat. The point I was trying to make is that regardless of fault (they didn't even ask), Halcyon seems to always stand behind their gear. I'm sure that you'll enjoy it.

BTW, they have a page that gives some tips on caring for the unit. Lighting System Tips | Halcyon Dive Systems

Happy diving

MG

Hey Mike:

We all hope that we get gear without defects but unfortunately, sometimes things get by- that's when predive checks and regular maintenance comes in handy. As far as Halcyon, I know it's all great gear (but too expensive for me!), well I am not a fan of the ACB but that's me. Anyway, reading some of your posts and seeing your pictures, it seems that you think it's great gear as well. But we should not jump ship at the first sign of a swell, nor should we second guess our purchase if someone or two people have a problem. That is how negativity can be perpetuated and that is not fair to the folks trying to bring us great gear. Let's at least let the smoke clear and get the full scoop before we start a frenzy.

Seriously, even when we intend no harm, the tone on the internet may sound like, "Man, these people put out crap!" I remember reading a post about Tobin and his bungee consoles for instruments and while I got what people were saying, I felt as if some didn't fully convey their message and Tobin (rightfully so) got pissed because he probably felt as if people were questioning his products. I was kinda' pissed too because I have not had issues with any of my gear from him but again, some things do get by and more importantly and it seemed in this case, some gear's longevity is a function of the people properly using it! But it was like, "Dog pile Tobin!"

And also remember, there are people that have more dives than you and me put together (500+ +(50 to 99)) that use these products for far more serious things than we, and if it's good enough for them, then it's definitely good enough for us! :)

But, if you get your light, check this page out. Also, for the cord, check this out.

Have fun and enjoy that awesome light. I am so envious of you for that!

With kindest regards from North Carolina,
Thomas Styron

Last edited:
Hey Mike

I got my new light and it works like a charm. I love the Halcyon products, to be honest their products changed diving for me. Nothing as been the same since I started to dive with Halcyon.

Also I have to say that their service is OUTSTANDING and they are always willing to answer any questions I have thrown their way.

You will not be disappointed with your Halcyon light.

Guys,

Thanks for all your feedback on the Halycon name and in particular the HID Explorer 9/21. I'm still on vacation in Florida diving and having so much funj.

My light should've arrived at my LDS for pickup. I can't wait to finally dive it when I get back, I did get a chance to play with one at a LDS here in Boynton Beach, FL.

That light is gorgeous as it is huge... The construction is just awesome...

I have spoken to Halcyon directly about some other products that I ordered and their customer services are TOP NOTCH, I was just amazed...

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom