Problems with octopus leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Velebit

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
One month ago during diving my Seeman octopus start to leak.Two days ago i replace this octopus with one other 2.stage but the same thing happens.During dive deep on 40 m everything was ok but on 6 m during deco stop octopus start leak.
I have Scubapro mk 19 with x 650 second stage.Is it possible that something happens with first stage so maybe intermediate pressure is to high and octopus leak for this reason or I'm just bad luck:depressed:
If there are some advice what to do please welcome.
I'm from Croatia so sorry for my grammar.
Thank you:wink:

Were you in cold freshwater which might cause some ice to build up?

Are you able to check the intermediate pressure of the 1st stage? (Do you have a gauge with a suitable range that includes 150psi?)

You can easily check the cracking pressure of the 2nd stages with a "sink test" or other dip into water.

How long has it been since the regulators were serviced?

Maybe it's time to service them or de-tune them if you're in very cold water.... :)

Dave C

If you've had two of them leak, I'd be very suspicious of an IP problem with the first stage.

Checking IP on a regulator is like checking temperature and blood pressure on a person. It is a simple and effective indicator of health. If IP is too high, it could well be venting through your octo. Or the octo(s) may just be tuned a little on the hot side and needs a very minor adjustment. In either case, you probably have 2 perfectly usable octos once something has had a needed minor adjustment.

I suspect that either the intermediate pressure from the first stage is creeping, or, if the IP is stable, that the octos are not adjusted for that IP. It would only take a few minutes to check the IP. Your best bet would probably be to find a competent reg tech.

your first stage needs a service - probably the high pressure seat needs replacing. It's very common for the octopus to "leak" after a service as well as it takes a little time for the seat to "bed in". Tweaking the intermediate pressure in the second stage will probably have little or no effect, the fault is in the first stage, not the second.

Get the regs checked by a qualified service technician, servicing is relatively inexpensive.

Cheers

C.

I have had several regulators free-flow after doing shore dives where I was swimming in and out through surf. I think this must be caused by fine sand getting trapped in the second stage somewhere: Sometimes the second stage can be purged and cleared, but most often it takes servicing to fix the leak.

Thanks everybody for answers and suggestions.This first stage is new but once this summer had a strong strike when tank fall down and kick on the rock with regulator.In (shop)service they change only plastic protective cap on dry chamber and told me that regulator is OK.After that I dive without any problems,but last month this leaking happens.
Temperature of sea was 10 Celsius and I think that there are no problems with ice.
Anyway I must resolve this problem if I want to dive safely.Wish all best to all of you:blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom