Problems with C8080 + DS125 strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mishthefish

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have done at least 100 dives with my c8080, Ikelite housing and DS 125 strobe with some wonderful results. However a couple of months ago the TTL setting on my strobe stopped working. The strobe fires but very, very dim. I now have to use the Full setting and even with the diffuser and F8 my macro shots are coming out very over-exposed. I have the camera on all the settings posted on the Ikelite website for underwater photography. I just got a new cord that goes between the housing and the strobe because I thought that might be the problem but it still doesn't work.

Any advice would be very appreciated. I live in Roatan, Honduras so can't pop down to my local camera shop for help!

Thank you.
Mish

First thing I would do is check the contacts on the camera, the hotshoe connector inside the housing and especially the cable connector outside the housing. I don't have an Ikelite but I've experienced similar issues on my Sea & Sea strobes when the cord o-ring has wept a bit and corroded the contacts. I swabbed them with vinegar, cleaned them with alcohol, prayed to the Gods of Underwater Photography and they now work fine again. When they were malfunctioning I had either a mistimed flash or full flash while on my ttl setting. Probably the contact that sends the ttl control signal was corroded.

Hi Larry,

Thank you so much. That could well be the problem. I will try it out and I will tell you if you were right. I had also forgotten the Gods of Underwater Photography so that might have contributed to the malfunction!

Regards
Mish

Back
Top Bottom