Problems w/ Zeagle (Apeks) Octo+ freeflowing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The following is a thread I started in the BC forum. Was wondering whether anyone had/has issues with the Octo+ (inflator/octo) hanging too low while diving and what if anything you did to secure it while still having easy access. I probably should have posted here to start. Anyway, thought I'd copy to this forum to 1) see if anyone here has comments/suggestions regarding the Octo+ hanging vertical while in the horizontal dive postion and, 2) whether many are having the freeflow problem the last poster (Fredi) says he had.

Appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!

Zeagle BCD w/ Octo+ MKII

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just received my Zeagle Escape BCD from Scuba Toys. I ordered with the Octo+ alternate air souce and am curious whether it's going to be hanging down while diving. Seems that with the extra weight of the Octo+ and the retaining strap being located so high (basically on top of shoulder) that it's going to be hanging pretty low or at least flopping around.

If anyone out there has this setup could you please comment on whether there is any issue here.

Thanks!

divo
View Public Profile
Send a private message to divo
Find More Posts by divo
Add divo to Your Buddy List

04-22-2006, 07:58 PM #2
ScottZeagle
Equipment Manufacturer

Status

Profile InfoJoin Date: Jun 2004
StatsPosts: 819
Photos: (2) View Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by divo
I just received my Zeagle Escape BCD from Scuba Toys. I ordered with the Octo+ alternate air souce and am curious whether it's going to be hanging down while diving. Seems that with the extra weight of the Octo+ and the retaining strap being located so high (basically on top of shoulder) that it's going to be hanging pretty low or at least flopping around.

If anyone out there has this setup could you please comment on whether there is any issue here.

Thanks!

I have been using the Octo+ for years. It hangs right off your shoulder and I have never had a problem locating it. It has some weight, so it does not "flop around" at all.

Thanks for choosing Zeagle!

Scott

"God didn't give us gills, he gave us Zeagle!" - Rick Hampton after a 425' dive with Zeagle Flathead regs.

ScottZeagle
View Public Profile
Send a private message to ScottZeagle
Find More Posts by ScottZeagle
Add ScottZeagle to Your Buddy List

04-22-2006, 09:12 PM #3
divo

Status
Profile InfoJoin Date: Aug 2004
Logged Dives: 51-100
StatsPosts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottZeagle
I have been using the Octo+ for years. It hangs right off your shoulder and I have never had a problem locating it. It has some weight, so it does not "flop around" at all.

Thanks for choosing Zeagle!

Scott

Thanks for your reply Scott.

I guess if it hangs down and it really bugs me I can always secure it to my shoulder harness while diving. I noticed if I thread my chest strap under the inflator hose it seems to work pretty well. Of course I would do this after I decended, since there is no pull dump valve. Guess I'll just have to wait till I get to the Maldives in June to see how I like it compared with a standard octo. I will say, without having dived the BC (Escape) I love it and I'm sure I will even more once I get it in the water.

divo
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by divo

Yesterday, 07:24 AM #4
ZzzKing

Status
Profile InfoJoin Date: Sep 2005
Logged Dives: 16-50
StatsPosts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by divo
Guess I'll just have to wait till I get to the Maldives in June to see how I like it compared with a standard octo.

I'm really liking your thorough testing procedures.

I have an Atomic SS1 on my inflator and it does tend to hang down. So far I have been tucking it between my elbow and chest when horizontal. I'm in the process of trying to figure something else out, though.

ZzzKing
View Public Profile
Send a private message to ZzzKing
Find More Posts by ZzzKing
Add ZzzKing to Your Buddy List

Yesterday, 05:46 PM #5
divo

Status
Securing octo/inflator during dive

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzKing
I'm really liking your thorough testing procedures.

I have an Atomic SS1 on my inflator and it does tend to hang down. So far I have been tucking it between my elbow and chest when horizontal. I'm in the process of trying to figure something else out, though.

Let me know if you figure out something to your likeing. I think the best solution would be to have another velcro strap stitched low on the shoulder harness that would allow the octo/inflator to be sercure while diving yet easy to release for octo use or exhausting bladder. An LDS in my area told me of someone who could do this. Will probably hold off until I try using the method I mentioned where I thread the sternum strap between the inflator hose and corrogated tubing. Not the best way to access the octo immediately but not difficult to release buckle and grab.

Anyone else have any suggestions or methods they use?

divo
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by divo

Yesterday, 06:44 PM #6
1_T_Submariner

Status
Profile InfoJoin Date: Nov 2005
Logged Dives: 16-50
StatsPosts: 265
Trader Rating: (1)
I dive with a Zeagle Ranger and Octo+ it is great, the Octo+ doesn't seem to hang excessively low. Breathe out of the Octo+ once in a while (good practice) it is amazing how well it breathes.

1_T_Submariner
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 1_T_Submariner
Find More Posts by 1_T_Submariner
Add 1_T_Submariner to Your Buddy List

Yesterday, 06:49 PM #7
divo

Status
Have heard it's a very easy breather. Looking forward to trying it.

divo
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by divo

Today, 11:45 AM #8
Fredi

Status
Profile InfoJoin Date: Oct 2003
Logged Dives: 201 - 500
StatsPosts: 79
Photos: (1) View Gallery
I use a similar setup with my Z Escape for about 50 dives.The Octo+ tends to free flow.I have read some people have this complain on this board last year.Also in an OOA practice situation,I find it cumbersome breathing of it and using the inflator at the same time.The lenght of the hose was no bother,and enjoy having one less air hose.But it was the constant freeflow that drove me nuts even after servicing and repairing it three times!I finally switch to a HOG set up and is very happy with it.Everything is in the right place now,and easy handling of all gears and instrument!Sometimes i wish i had started off with the HOG set up first...but then who says learning is all that easy without trials and errors!Good luck with your set up!Fredi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom