Problems of the single diver....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbernard

Reaction score
Hey guys, ever notice how all resorts and live aboards list their rates based upon 'double occupancy'?

Does anyone know of a place a guy can go that's relatively inexpensive that caters to, or will at least put up with a guy traveling alone? Preferably a live aboard with a single berth.

I don't really care where it is just as long as it's warm and has some good diving.

I agree. If it were not for double occupancy or the single supplement (that does not come cheap) I would probably getting ready to get out of town for week or so. I wish my dive buddies had as much flexibility to travel as I do.

I would say that it depends on when you want to go. Between now and April, its high season almost everywhere warmer than here (in Chicago anyway).

Black Beard's Livaboard in the Bahama's is not all that bad in pricing. My buddy went in November and had a blast. Bahamas scuba diving liveaboard Blackbeard's Cruises

Golden Reef Inn in Bonaire has a decent price right now for stays in a one bedroom. Golden Reef Inn Resort--Home I have not stayed there but I have heard good things about it. They have a single supplement that you have to pay though.

There are also people who are organizing group trips to tropical places.

Hey guys, ever notice how all resorts and live aboards list their rates based upon 'double occupancy'?

I don't really care where it is just as long as it's warm and has some good diving.

On liveaboards they only make you pay the single supplement if you want to ensure you have a cabin to yourself, which is fair. If you don't mind a room-mate you don't need to pay it. In fact, if they are not full they'll usually give you a cabin to yourself anyway. Keep in mind that on a liveaboard you're really only in your cabin when you're asleep anyway...so who cares if you have a room-mate.

I did two weeks on the Truk Odyssey as a single and had a blast. First week I had the cabin to myself as there were only 7 of us on board that week. Second week was full so I had a room-mate. No problem at all.

Going single I'd rather do a liveaboard than land-based - with or without a room-mate.

I just contacted 5 different dive shops in Puerto Rico and they all said the could accommodate a single diver.

just FYI

Ive never had any problems "going single" to dive resorts.
Infact on a couple of the trips ive made people have been shocked at how cheap Ive gotten the vacation. Pays out to shop around a little when theres flying and hotels involved..

Does anyone know of a place a guy can go that's relatively inexpensive that caters to, or will at least put up with a guy traveling alone? Preferably a live aboard with a single berth.

I have ran many groups to the islands and rarely,actually never,had to impose a single supplement on anyone.If there is a single ,as an example,I usually reserve a 3 bedroom unit at Buddy resort,and put the single in the smaller of the 3 bedrooms.Usually it is a single female that this issue ever comes up with.Next group to Buddys is April 17th :)

I have done most of mine as a single and gotten the single rate as long, as was stated, I was willing to have a roommate or open bunking! All the Live a boards I have done follow the same rule! The only one that is a little different is Bonaire, like Buddy Dive, where your renting a room based on double rate! If your going with five in a 3 bedroom then you can divide the total cost by 5 for the rooms, but if not the single will pay more!

Done a couple short live aboards as a single diver......

Never been an issue.......met great folks and had a blast........

You will probably share a room.........no big deal.........

M

We book liveaboards for our Hosted Dive Adventure Trips and also do not charge a single supplement unless of course you do want a room to your self, a liveaboards pricing is built around the number of divers on the boat and not the number of rooms as there are not that many like a large resort or hotel. So if you book with us you will pay the same amount as a couple would and it is our responsibility to match you up with a roomy of a like gender, if we cannot then you get the room to yourself.
We try really hard to pick boats that do not have anymore than two beds to a cabin with there own ensuite bathrooms so that our guests have the most comfort possible. We are also trying to use boats that have both beds on the floor instead of bunks so that our guests do not feel as if they are sharing a room with there brother and sister like they were kids but it is not always possible if you want to go to the best dive destinations.
We have a Hosted trip to Socorro in Dec. that is on the Nautilus Explorer starting at $2,950 for a single in a room like we described and is one of the best valued trips for the money when you consider that you can take reasonably priced flights to Cabo San Lucas Mexico and you will be diving with Giant Pacific Mantas, Sharks and more...
Please feel free to check out this and our 2011 trips to PNG and Raja Ampat @ Home

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom