Problem With Leaky Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citabriapilot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've recently been having problems with my mask leaking water during dives. It passes the proper fit test (stays on face) and I don't recall having any issues when I first got it. Now it seems like I ALWAYS have to clear it every couple of minutes at depth. At first I thought it was my mask, but I've tried other divers masks and had the same problem. Tried tightening the straps and loosening the straps to no avail.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Some faces make using a mask difficult. A couple things you can try that I know off is to first watch where the water is leaking in. Often for some people it is in the same place. A little Vaseline in those areas can actually help make a good seal. Another option is to actually try larger and smaller version of the same mask. I have a HUGE head, but oddly medium masks tend to seal to my noggin better. Many people select mask size based on the size of the head rather than the best fit to the front of the face. Lastly, keep trying different mask brands.

Typically, it's not the mask that leaks. It's the face. If you really think it's the mask, here's a simple test. Hold it level and fill it (like a bowl) with water. Wait a few seconds and if it drips, you know it has a leak. You will most likely even be able to pinpoint where it leaks too. If it doesn't drip, then you know it's not sealing on your face as good as you thought it was. Try another mask.

Placement of the strap and tension also play a huge roll in sealing the mask to your face. Try a little looser, not tighter, and see if that works.

You may just need a different face! :wink:(sorry, just had to say it!)

I'm lucky...my mask fits no matter what!

n1038890729_276123_3984.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom