Problem with hitting my head on Mare's Hybrid BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrJeri

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I am a new diver and purchased the Mare's Hybrid She Dive BCD. It is very comfortable on land, but in the water I am finding it extremely uncomfortable due to the fact that the carrying handle hits me in the back of my head and doesn't allow me to lift my head in the water! I'm not sure what adjustments to make so that my diving becomes fun again. Do I need to totally re-adjust the shoulder straps lower in the water? If I lower them outside the water, my tank is so low I feel as though I will fall backwards. I am 5'3" tall. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Doc

Hi Doc,

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

Your BC could be the wrong size. The size chart I see says you should be using the 2X-Small/X-Small.

Assuming you have the right size, comfort in the water should trump comfort out of the water. Lengthening your shoulder straps would allow you to move your cylinder higher, which should partly reduce the feeling of falling backward. But you don’t want to hit your head on the cylinder either. And ultimately, you’ll adjust your cylinder height mainly with trim in mind.

good luck

Are you sure it's the carrying handle that's hitting your head rather than the tank valve? This happens to petite women often. I have to place my BC higher on the tank so that the valve doesn't hit my head. I have 2 cam straps, and I barely use the top strap, placing the curve of the tank just above the top strap. If it is the valve hitting your head, smaller tanks like AL 63's (or HP 80's) work wonders as well if you have very good gas consumption.

Thanks for your reply. It is the correct size for me per the Mare's guide. That is the frustrating part. I have viewed the video for this BCD, but it's funny how the model never turns around so I can see exactly where the BCD handle is!

---------- Post Merged at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:23 AM ----------

Hi and thanks for your input. I thought at first it was the tank valve, but it is definitely the carrying handle. I have adjusted the tank up and down, in and out of the water with no change to the problem.
I am frustrated and hope that someone from Mare's will actually come forward with a solution. I can't be the only woman to have this problem!

I am frustrated and hope that someone from Mares will actually come forward with a solution. I can't be the only woman to have this problem!
You might want to pose the question in Mares' own forum here on Scubaboard: Mares... Just add Water!

I DID post to the Mare's Form...and they have not responded. I am very disappointed in them.

I am not saying this is the best answer, just an option, but do you really need a carrying handle?

I generally carry my bc by the shoulder straps, unless a tank is attached, then I carry it by the tank.

perhaps you could just cut the carry handle off?

I have this BCD ( she dives version). Only used it twice so far and not had a problem with the handle, I'm only an inch taller than you, it's not always easy being short....

Like I say not had a problem with the handle but if I don't get my tank just right I do hit my head. On that, I find it better if I use a dumpy

I am not saying this is the best answer, just an option, but do you really need a carrying handle?

I generally carry my bc by the shoulder straps, unless a tank is attached, then I carry it by the tank.

perhaps you could just cut the carry handle off?

My thoughts too. I'm a couple inches shorter (5') and if I carry my bc by the handle it drags on the ground! I usually carry it with my arm looped through the cams or through the shoulders. (I have the Zeagle Zena and love it).

Back
Top Bottom