Problem with Epoque ES-230 DS Auto Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenbeans

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got an Epoque ES-230 DS Auto Strobe in 2010. Recently it started acting up. I use a fiber optic connector to a Canon housing. On my last dive it started firing intermittently without activating the camera's flash. I thought it might be the fiber optic cord so I bought another one, however, the strobe fires even without connecting it to the cable, the housing or the camera. The battery compartment doesn't appear to have been the subject of any flooding, and I have never opened up any of the other buttons. The strobe has been well looked-after, without any dropping or bumping and well-rinsed. Maybe the sensor is acting up?

Anyway, I'm unsure what my warranty options are for this strobe as the warranty card was in Japanese.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening with it and what I can do?

Thanks so much for your help!

I have this strobe, was paired with my oly SP-350, my problem was the succesfull firing just approx. 60% - i thought the problem was from the fiber optic cable. Since the SP-350 drained battery quickly. later I used the hard wire sync. cord and working perfectly (in manual). Anyway, since I have new set, I never use this set since 2 years ago, but still working well when I checked.

Thanks for that - wish I could find out what is wrong with it. I can't afford another strobe right now, even though I DO want to upgrade my kit soon. Sigh! Do you know if the strobe had any warranty? I had the same problem with it not being very sensitive paired with the fibre optic cable... I can't do TTL to my housing though!

you may try to contact :

Nori Nakano

Epoque World Co., Ltd.
hq@epoque-japan.com

wish your luck

I have written to the above person at Epoque and awaiting an answer.

I have an ES-230DS underwater strobe, Which I successfully use with a Canon Ixus 700 in a WP-DC70 case using a fibre optic cable.
I am very happy with the system and recently upgraded my camera to a Canon Ixus 980 IS with a WP-DC27 case.
My problem is that the Canon 980-IS does not trigger the flash. even when placed right next to the sensor.
It seems that Canon has changed the frequency of the light in the camera, which no longer triggers the Epoque ES 230DS strobe.
I was wondering if it is possible to change the sensor in the Epoque Strobe or adjust the sensitivity to get it working with the Canon 980 IS.
I note that other cameras like the Lumix and Sony does trigger the flash.
I would love to continue using my system with the Canon 980 IS and was looking forward to getting better images due to the better control on the camera.

I have written to the above person at Epoque and awaiting an answer.

I have an ES-230DS underwater strobe, Which I successfully use with a Canon Ixus 700 in a WP-DC70 case using a fibre optic cable.
I am very happy with the system and recently upgraded my camera to a Canon Ixus 980 IS with a WP-DC27 case.
My problem is that the Canon 980-IS does not trigger the flash. even when placed right next to the sensor.
It seems that Canon has changed the frequency of the light in the camera, which no longer triggers the Epoque ES 230DS strobe.
I was wondering if it is possible to change the sensor in the Epoque Strobe or adjust the sensitivity to get it working with the Canon 980 IS.
I note that other cameras like the Lumix and Sony does trigger the flash.
I would love to continue using my system with the Canon 980 IS and was looking forward to getting better images due to the better control on the camera.

I have just found out that if I use "On" instead of Auto H or L The 980 fires the Epoque via fibre optic well. It seems that the older Ixus use a pre flash which the Auto H or L takes into account. It seems that the 980 does not use a pre flash or something like that. I even changed the flash bulb on the 980 without any luck, what a waste of time. Anyway all is now working well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom