Problem with EDITing older posts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt.JimDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
On Classifieds forum I started a thread and listed some items in my first posting...

When first item in that posting of mine sold I went back and click on the EDIT button on the bottom right corner of my posting and placed a SOLD note next to it. So viewers can see which items are available and which are sold.

When the next items are sold which was mentioned at that post, I tried to do the same. Opened up the same thread and my original post to edit only to realize that the EDIT button was disappeared. It is not there anymore...

When I add another post to the thread EDIT button appears on my new post.

But how come I can not EDIT my older posts?

I am using Mac and Safari if it has anything to do with this issue...

Thanks guys,

As I recall, you can edit your own posts within 24 hours, after that they become "permanent."

You can just add a follow up post, quoting your original with the updates on sold items in that.

On Classifieds forum I started a thread and listed some items in my first posting...

When first item in that posting of mine sold I went back and click on the EDIT button on the bottom right corner of my posting and placed a SOLD note next to it. So viewers can see which items are available and which are sold.

When the next items are sold which was mentioned at that post, I tried to do the same. Opened up the same thread and my original post to edit only to realize that the EDIT button was disappeared. It is not there anymore...

When I add another post to the thread EDIT button appears on my new post.

But how come I can not EDIT my older posts?

I am using Mac and Safari if it has anything to do with this issue...

Thanks guys,
In the past the Edit function was unrestricted. But then it was abused by members who would post something controversial to generate a firestorm of responses and later go back, edit the original contents, and then pretend that they never had posted the material. It occasionally became quite a contentious issue.

The only indication that it had happened was an edited reference at the bottom of the post in a small font that was often overlooked.

You may've noticed that some members routinely quote a post they're commenting on - this is so that if the contents are subsequently edited - the original content is saved.

The decision was made to limit editing of any post to 24hrs to minimize this. Since Edit is a board-wide function, it applies in the Classifieds also. It also protects classifieds participants since the item listed is locked within 24hrs. so no changes can later be made to the original listing but must be shown as updates. In some cases where a post has multiple items the responses push the original post moves off the first page and the follow-ups are quoted - so it would be confusing if the original post was edited days later.

As Cave Diver mentioned, just quote your original post in each subsequent post with any sold updates.

If you make a mistake in a listing and need it corrected, contact a Moderator.

It has nothing to do with your O/S or browser.

Back
Top Bottom