Problem in a "Rescue" class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... However, from the point of view of a rescuer, what can done to avoid this when giving air to a diver that is panicking and will probably not remember to purge the valve ?
Couple of issues here.

There is no reason to wait for an out of air diver to purge the reg if that's needed (or even suspected that it's needed). Stick it in their mouth and purge it. It is not unusual, by the way, for a diver in full panic to refuse a regulator. What you can do is hold the regulator against their mouth and purge it, assuring that there's air at the mouth so that if the diver does take a breath they'll get air and not water.

If a diver experiences a laryngospasm and doesn't recognize it for what it is, and especially if it's the diver's first experience with the phenomenon and they don't even know such a thing exists, we have a *bad* situation, and arresting a bolt may be impossible.

In either case, if I can't arrest the bolt, deco status permitting, I hang on to 'em and ride 'em up, making sure that reg never leaves their mouth.
--
But all of us who are reading this thread are armed with knowledge and so will not bolt :)
Right?
:) :) :)
Rick

But all of us who are reading this thread are armed with knowledge and so will not bolt Right?
See also: "do as I say, don't do as I do"

Back
Top Bottom