Problem flying w/ dive lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talon

Contributor
Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow for the Aquacat and had a friend just call me with something I have never heard of before. He said that when flying with flashlights, you should disassemble them or the air pressure during the flight will permanently seal the o-ring.

Has anyone else every heard of this? If so, do you need to physically remove the top off or can you just loosen the threading (i.e., unscrew it half way)?

Thanks for any feedback!
Michael

It's not true at all.

Security will in all likelihood make you open the thing up when passing through, though.

I'm not sure what the laws are everywhere else ... but on my recent trip to Roatan they insisted that I remove the batteries from my backup lights. My canister light was another matter entirely, since the battery is easily unplugged. On the other hand, I had to explain more than once what it was ... since it looks suspiciously like three sticks of dynamite shrink-wrapped together with a couple of wires sticking out ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thats basically rubbish.

A plane is pressurised to about 8000ft - thats only about 10ft or less of sea water pressure - so small its insignificant.

All i do is put the battery in upside down to prevent accidental activation.

i came across aviation safety regulations from ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization)..reason that you have to dismantle the dive lights is not because of the pressure, but because if accidentally activated, it could lead to fire (heat producing device) and it's the regulation for the aviation.at least in my part of the world.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=830&pagetype=90&pageid=4796
--->check clause 'O'.

I put my lights in my carry-on for weight purposes and I've never had to open them up.

J.

Not an option here where nearly every airline ive seen limit carry on to 5kg weight.

No problem with the pressure. Coming back from my last trip to Cozumel, the Mexican Custom agent confiscated the "C" cell batteries from my UK C-8 lights. He stated that I was only allowed 4 batteries per person. Why come home with one half of your used batteries?, so I left the rest of the batteries with him.

Has this happened to anyone else?

anemone:
i came across aviation safety regulations from ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization)..reason that you have to dismantle the dive lights is not because of the pressure, but because if accidentally activated, it could lead to fire (heat producing device) and it's the regulation for the aviation.at least in my part of the world.

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=830&pagetype=90&pageid=4796
--->check clause 'O'.

Al you need to do is carry them on. You are not required to remove or dissassemble anything.

Talon:
He said that when flying with flashlights, you should disassemble them or the air pressure during the flight will permanently seal the o-ring.
Michael, just unscrew the light or remove the seal so it can't seal up.

Some lights/cameras will vent the higher ground air pressure past the o-ring as you climb, then seal up tight when you descend. What you could have is a vacuum in it after a flight, making some hard to open. An annoying problem, but not permanent, unless you break it trying to force it open.

The others are correct, the bigger risk is having the light turn on by baggage movement, then start a fire from your halogen bulb. Flip one battery backwards so it won't turn on is the easiest solution.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom