Problem downloading new dives from VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pzc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I have a VT3 and am using Oceanlog 2.2.6.
If I create a new diver log, I can successfully download all eight dives from my VT3 without difficulty. The problem I have is with downloading new dives into an older log...
I created a new log a couple of weeks ago and downloaded five dives without difficulty. When I tried to download my three new dives into that same log, everything seems to work OK but when I return to the dive history, my new dives aren't there...
I think I'm doing everything right: I'm communicating with the VT3, downloading data, selecting the three new dives, saving those dives and then returning to Oceanlog - but then the new dives aren't there... Just the old five.
I've tried this on two different PCs and have the same problem.
My VT3 is running firmware r2d.
Has anyone got a fix for this problem?
Thanks!

Hi again,
No reply from Oceanic so far... Guess they are still on their way back from the DEMA show!
Here is a bit more detail on this issue...
I have eight dives in my VT3. A couple of weeks ago I created a new log in OceanLog 2.2.4 and downloaded the five dives I had done at that time. Everything worked fine and I spent quite a while putting in all my personal data and gear etc.
Later, after my 8th dive, I tried to download the three new dives into that same log. Everything seemed to work fine but when I closed the download window and returned to OceanLog the new dives weren't there... Only the old five.
I subsequently upgraded to 2.2.6 and tried again but got the same result. The new three dives don't appear in the log after downloading and saving.
Now, here's the work-around...
I created a completely new log (in 2.2.6) and downloaded _all_ eight dives without a problem. I then opened the older five dive log (in 2.2.6) and imported the eight dive log ("Import Dive Data" from type "Dive Log File (*.dlg)") on top. The three new dives appeared OK and the data from the old five seems fine - none of the extra data from those dives (cylinder sizes etc.) had been overwritten or erased...
So, this is quite a subtle problem!
The VT3 battery seems fine.
The only odd thing I've noticed is that sometimes the downloaded data files in the Data directory are sometimes 4K smaller than other times. This implies the .dat file isn't being closed properly on some occasions. Whether this is related to the download problem - I don't know.
Hopefully Doug and Co. will be able to help once they get back to the office!?

You should add you OS and which virus scanner you are using to the information you gave. Put it sound like your PC not many people are experiencing your problem. But good work on the Dat file.

I've tried this on three machines so far, all with the same result:
A Sony laptop running XP with AVG Free AV software
A different Sony laptop running XP with Mcafee AV software
A Dell workstation running XP with Mcafee AV software
I've tried both Oceanlog 2.2.4 and 2.2.6 as per the above post and have used the same 2000/XP/Vista USB drivers on all three machines.
Bit of a head-scratcher this one!

I'm probably getting in WAY to deep here... But here is more info on the VT3 .dat download file size differences...
When I first run Oceanlog, connect up my VT3 and download the dive data for my eight dives, the .dat file is 315,392 bytes long.
If I keep the program open and download the dives again, the file is 319,488 bytes long. This seems to be true for all subsequent downloads. If I download the data another four times the file is still 319,488 bytes long.
If I close Oceanlog the run it again and download the dive data again, the file size goes back to 315,392 bytes for the first download only.
This seems to be almost always true, except once when the second download was smaller than the first.
Using HexCmp to look for differences between the first and subsequent download files, the following differences are identified:
File position 1FC9: 1st download contains EB, subsequent downloads contain CB
File position 15010: 1st download contains FB, subsequent downloads contain F3
File position 16F84: 1st download contains 66, subsequent downloads contain 46
File position 16FC9: 1st download contains 0B, subsequent downloads contain 2B
File position 4D000: 1st download ends at 4CFFF, subsequent downloads contain 4K more data from here on...
This seems quite repeatable. The 315,392 byte files are identical as are the 319,488 byte files.
Like I said, this is probably getting into WAY too much detail but I thought it might help the guys at Oceanic or Pelagic towards that "Eureka" moment! :D

I would uninstall the oceanlog then turn off the virus software and reinstall oceanlog.

Problem solved!
Many thanks to Mark Lane at Oceanic for the support.
The problem was caused by my gear profile being called "Paul's Gear". Apparently the apostrophe causes a problem!
I added a new gear profile called "Pauls Gear" (no apostrophe), changed all my dives so they named this new gear profile, and was then able to download the last three dives from my computer. "Paul's Gear" still appears in the pull-down gear box but this doesn't seem to cause a problem so long as "Pauls Gear" is the selected one.
It might be possible to fix this by opening the log in Access and renaming the gear profile directly. I didn't try this. Your mileage may vary! The log password can be found elsewhere on ScubaBoard.
Oceanic are working on a permanent fix for this, to be included in the next release.

Back
Top Bottom