Pro Quality Macro Photos With The MACROMATE MINI From Backscatter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you Jim for your explanation of the benefits/attributes of the macromate lens.

In your awesome demo video, can you confirm that these images weren't additionally zoomed in and cropped in post production, or "what you see is what you get", when filming in 1080/60 fps narrow mode like Berkley eludes to in the muck diving video? The flex arm tripod makes a world of difference.

I like the fact that you're defining the focus depth of field with your measuring stick. Second nature to most of us experienced videographers, but still a good guide to start with.

Thanks for the compliment on the video!

The images in the video were shot with a Hero 3+ Black Edition in 1080 60p narrow, protune off, Macromate mini, tripod, and single light. The clips were then stitched together in Final Cut Pro and output for the web, that's it--no cropping, color editing, etc. A tripod is key to avoid getting seasick when watching the video and keeping your subject in frame and in focus. Most of the shots were at night when some of the critters tend to be more active. A light will get the best results as opposed to a color filter with a macro lens as most critters tend to hide under dark ledges or in dark holes by day, or only come out into the open at night but there are always exceptions to the rule...

We were thinking that new macro video shooters would benefit from the focus training stick to help them get in the focus zone as the depth of field for any true macro lens is very very thin. The GoPro has a fixed focus lens and the only way to focus is by getting the correct distance. The notch on the stick is the middle of your depth of field. The newer LCD back is much better to look at than the older "silver" color LCD back and is a must to really pull off the shots.

It is definitely more challenging that a wide angle shot, but well worth the effort!

Thanks!

Jim

The newer LCD back is much better to look at than the older "silver" color LCD back and is a must to really pull off the shots.

Two questions here that you might be able to answer.

First, based on your statement, I am assuming that the old silver LCD backpack works on the 3+ Black Edition?

Second, why is the new LCD backpack better? I assume higher resolution, but was curious to get your input.

Thank you!

BTW, I saw the Macromate Mini at the Long Beach Scuba Show. I was very impressed and am looking to add it to my kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom