Pro Plus 2 Display Lockup in Surface Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I went out for a couple "refresher" dives today to start the season and re-familiarize ourselves with the skills and equipment. Right after we descended on the second dive, I noticed that my Pro Plus 2 was locked up in surface mode. It was still displaying our surface time and the 3205psi that the tank had right after I swapped them. The time on the frozen clock indicated that the lockup had happened a few minutes before we suited up for the dive. The unit was also unresponsive to pushing or holding the buttons.

Of course, I ended the dive for computer failure and we packed it up for the day. It is about 3 hours later, and the display is still frozen, but the unit is still on. I have searched the boards and rechecked the manual, but have not found anything that matches this problem. I am not a big fan of doing the "master reset" (battery removal) to fix problems. I would rather find the source of the problem and fix it so it doesn't happen again.

I purchased this unit new in Novmber of last year and have used it on 19 dives to date. I guess I am happy for the fact that it didn't happen on a deep-dive or, even worse, during an expensive diving vacation.

I will wait to see what advice I can get for this.

Attachments

• P1050310.JPG
    P1050310.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 265
The display changed.... I don't think I have seen this before. At least not while holding it on land after drying the unit. I was able to download my one good dive from today from this mode.

Too weird to trust. I think this is going to end up needing an RMA and service by Oceanic.

Attachments

• P1050313.JPG
    P1050313.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 106
The unit started to intermittently flicker on and off with the full-LCD test display. Pulled the battery to prevent the possibility of anything further going wrong with this computer. Awaiting word from Oceanic.

I guess for now I will just have to steal back the VEO180 I passed on to my wife after I bought the PP2. That one is still going strong, and I gotta keep diving!

I would say call Mark at Oceanic service, but I just noticed you're in Japan. Oceanic will fix it for you, of that I'm certain. But I don't know who to tell you to send it to.

I've never seen a PP2 lockup like that. It is definitely something you need to send it to Oceanic for, I wouldn't keep diving it even if it started behaving. Something is definitely wrong.

Well, Oceanic definitely takes care of their customers! I was instructed to send in the unit with a RMA form. What I got back was what appears to be a new or refurbished unit with some added Oceanic goodies in the box. The RMA process was simple and now, everything is working as advertised. It was about a two-week process from start to end, and probably would have been faster if I lived in the US.

Thank you for the great customer service! I knew I made the right choice when buying all Oceanic gear!

Ryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom