Primary Light suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Since we are discussing secondary lights in another thread, I'd like to hear what you'd suggest for a primary light. Especially since I plan on making a purchase [red]real[/red] soon.

Kindly keep the discussion away from the cannister lights. My budget is $150 or less, so I can't afford something that Darth Vader and Ben Kenobi could use to do battle with.

Thanks in advance!

Mike,

Don't make the mistake I did by buying a primary light that isn't rechargeable. Bigger dive lights suck down batteries like they're Monica Lewinsky and you'll very quickly save all the extra money a rechargeable light costs. Some of the smaller HID lights out on the market now are the best value for your money.

I know you said not to mention canister lights, but I would suggest looking for a used one in good shape on EBay. Your best best if you can find it would be a used 10w HID light for $200 or less and don't worry about the dive time of the battery.

I can see your point about large lights and batteries. Does anyone have any experience using rechargeable alkalines or NiCd's in dive lights?

I just check eBay and there currently us nothing offered to suit me. There is a UK Light Cannon being auctioned, but the current price is too close to what I can pay retail close to home.

Any other contributions from our ScubaBoard'ers?

I want to see a light cannon in the water next to a smaller cannister light... The price (even for new canister) is not that much more than the UK Light Cannon. Help me out here Dane, Who's that manufacturer?

So... aside from bateries, what are the consumable parts for each kind of light? What do they cost & how often do you have to replace them?

-kate

And the other operable question is how often will I be using it.

Right now, not all that much since the blue water trips are limited due to $$$ and I'm not doing that much night diving. So my little 2-C princeton light I have as my back up light works for looking into crevices and such. But I'd like something for my blue water trips to bring out the colors and for night dives.

Eventually, I will probably purchase a canister light, but for now I'm game for the "simpler" ones.

Oh, are the "Mag Lights" like you can get at sporting goods stores suitable for diving?

Texas Mike,

After much deleberation I purchaced a Underwater Kinetics UK-D8R. This is a rechargable model that retails for $175.00 The nice feature about this light is that it has redundant bulbs in the reflector housing. So in the event a bulb fails underwater, you just flip the switch to the other bulb and continue diving without having to change over to a back up lamp.

The UK-D8R ships with both 14w and 30w lamps installed. the first night dive I made with my buddy, his post dive comment was that "he felt like there was a truck bearing down on him" with the amount of light thrown off by the 30w lamp.

I considered the "Light Cannon" but the cost of a replacement bulb ($70.00) was a turn off. In comparrison to $6.50 per bulb for the UK-D8R. Run times are a "tried and true" 1.5 hours at 30w and 3+ hours at 14w.

A note on rechargable batteries - A rechargable battery develops a "memory" only when discharged and recharged to the same levels repeatedly. basicaly this means you do more harm by running your rechargable battery completely down before a recharge. Also overcharging your batterys serves no purpose either. Follow the instructions supplied with your battery/charger and you will get several years service from your rechargables.

Garrett

Texasmike,

I would suggest a primary with something like 13-14 watts of power using a xenon bulb. A good back up would be a halogen with a little less power. Of course, if you're going to get into more tech diving, then start looking at the 30-50 watt range.

Another question about your primary light....

An obvious advantage between pistol or lantern grip? Or just personal preference?

i have both a UK1200 and a C8 i find the 1200 to be over powering if the water is not nice and clear. the C8 on the other hand gives off lots of light but yet not to over powering if you get into areas where you have some murky water

Grip (Left handed or right...? j/k)

It is a matter of personal preference. Personally, a pistol grip is nice; a canister light tends to have the option of attatching to your hand or arm.

Try a few and see what you like. I'm sure the LDS won't mind.....of course, that's an assumption.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom