Primary/Backup lights for first liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRed96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Good Day All, Coming up in September I will be doing my first liveaboard with Blackbeard’s in the Bahamas. I am currently stocking up on gear and need to purchase some good lights. I will only be packing my Aeris BCD Jetpack with 42 liter backpack. This will be my carryon and sole piece of luggage. Need less to say I am space limited. For my primary light I was going to go with a DGX 600. I already have good rechargeable 18650 cells so I am good there. As a backup I was going to go with the DGX 300. I was going to purchase 1 extra cell from DGX so I would have 2 cells for this light. I have an Opus charger to charge all my cells. I know a lot of people like the 600, does anyone have experience with 300?

I don't have experience with it, but wow that's a tiny light! I'd be worried about dropping and losing it!

If the 600 dies on the first night of the liveaboard, do you want to use a 300 for the rest of the time?

Why not just get 2 x DGX600?

Ding ding. Winner. And post #2.

Well, at least that's what I take on liveaboards and similar trips. My wife takes two as well.

Why not just get 2 x DGX600?
That was my thinking originally. Only reason is due to my luggage space being extremely limited. I probably will end up going with two however.

I recently got a DGX800, primarily for a little more dive time, and second for a little more output. I haven't heard a lot about this two cell version of the DGX600. I haven't used it yet.

That was my thinking originally. Only reason is due to my luggage space being extremely limited. I probably will end up going with two however.

Are you one of those people who go for a weeklong dive trip with no checked bag? I mean, a DGX 600 is already one of the smaller lights that people use for this kind of diving. I don't know what people use the 300 for, but it sure looks tiny.

I haven't looked at the 300. If it does not use the same battery as the 600, I wouldn't bother. If it does, then I don't see how it could be appreciably smaller than the 600.

I haven't looked at the 300. If it does not use the same battery as the 600, I wouldn't bother. If it does, then I don't see how it could be appreciably smaller than the 600.
It does not.

Back
Top Bottom