Primary as Octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVFT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Do some people use a second primary reg as their seconday air source? I just bought a Legend LX, but didn't feel like dropping another $235 for the same octo. I can get an Apex XTX40, Titan LX or Micron octos for $149. I think any of these would be solid octos. I'm assuming since Apexs is part of Aqualung, most Aqualung dealers will service the Apeks as well...?

However, it appears I can get a Hollis 1st and 2nd stage for $199. I would think it would be worth spending the extra $50 to get a secondary 1st stage right? Since my Aqualung is yoke, would it be wise to get the Hollis as a DIN? Are DINS better set up for diving doubles (looking forward here)?? Lastly, I'm safe to assume that using the Hollis primary as my octo wouldn't be an issue..correct?

Hollis 212 DC3 Regulator with Maxflex hose : Dive Addicts Inc : Hollis...

Do some people use a second primary reg as their seconday air source? I just bought a Legend LX, but didn't feel like dropping another $235 for the same octo. I can get an Apex XTX40, Titan LX or Micron octos for $149. I think any of these would be solid octos. I'm assuming since Apexs is part of Aqualung, most Aqualung dealers will service the Apeks as well...?

All my second stages are fully usable as primary second stages. The only thing that differentiates most of them (things sold as "octos") as an "octo" is the color and many times the price and quality and features.

Don't buy a crappy alternate second stage. Many times, you'll be the one using it.

Last edited:
All my second stages are fully usable as primary second stages. The only thing that differentiates most of them as an "octo" is the color and many times the price and quality and features.

Don't buy a crappy alternate second stage. Many times, you'll be the one using it.

Right. I don't think any of the three I listed would be considered crappy, but would it be worth getting the Hollis 1st and 2nd stages for an extra $50? I just don't know how realistic it is to spend the extra $50 just to have a "spare" 1st stage vs ease of service.

An XTX40 is perfect as a secondary and even as a primary.
Yes, DINs are better for doubles (and singles).

Here is the short of it.

Because you have purchased an Aqualung first and second and will rely on the LDS for servicing, then for ease of servicing I recommend a product sold by Aqualung dealers which are Aqualung, Apeks, and Seaquest. If you start mixing brands then at some dealers you will run into servicing issues because they will not service a brand they do not carry. Prime Scuba is offering a deal on a Kronos and a Glacia octos as additional choices for you.

You can use a primary as an octo it just needs to be tuned so it does not freeflow when it hits the water. Many of us prefer adjustable regulators because you can tune them on the fly while under water. When not in use they are tuned so they don't freeflow and when in use they are tuned to breath well.

For technical diving DIN is the preferred tank attachment method. Most regulators can be converted from yoke to DIN. I would wait before putting together a technical diving kit until you either get more experience and know what you want or get advice from a diver and a shop that specializes in the diving you want to do. One thing you need to think about for technical diving is hose routing. This is not usually an issue with recreational diving. I am not sure how well a Hollis or your Legend routes with doubles. Also if you want to go sidemount then you may want other regulators.

Right. I don't think any of the three I listed would be considered crappy, but would it be worth getting the Hollis 1st and 2nd stages for an extra $50? I just don't know how realistic it is to spend the extra $50 just to have a "spare" 1st stage vs ease of service.

No idea.

All my stuff is the same brand (per reg set). Otherwise getting service is messy.

Here is the short of it.

Because you have purchased an Aqualung first and second and will rely on the LDS for servicing, then for ease of servicing I recommend a product sold by Aqualung dealers which are Aqualung, Apeks, and Seaquest. If you start mixing brands then at some dealers you will run into servicing issues because they will not service a brand they do not carry. Prime Scuba is offering a deal on a Kronos and a Glacia octos as additional choices for you.

You can use a primary as an octo it just needs to be tuned so it does not freeflow when it hits the water. Many of us prefer adjustable regulators because you can tune them on the fly while under water. When not in use they are tuned so they don't freeflow and when in use they are tuned to breath well.

For technical diving DIN is the preferred tank attachment method. Most regulators can be converted from yoke to DIN. I would wait before putting together a technical diving kit until you either get more experience and know what you want or get advice from a diver and a shop that specializes in the diving you want to do. One thing you need to think about for technical diving is hose routing. This is not usually an issue with recreational diving. I am not sure how well a Hollis or your Legend routes with doubles. Also if you want to go sidemount then you may want other regulators.

Thanks. Not to be a diva, but I think the Kronos looks hideous with the giant side exhaust. I wonder if places will price match Leisure Pro's $149 for the XTX40 since I know they aren't an authorized Aqualung dealer......

APEXS XTX40 Octopus at LeisurePro

I have 2 primary second stages on my regs. The one I'm using and the other on my necklace. When it hits the fan, I donate my primary and don't want to breath from a "less than best" backup during a stressful situation.

Thanks. Not to be a diva, but I think the Kronos looks hideous with the giant side exhaust. I wonder if places will price match Leisure Pro's $149 for the XTX40 since I know they aren't an authorized Aqualung dealer......

APEXS XTX40 Octopus at LeisurePro

If you don't like the Kronos then go with the Glaica, a cold water regulator can always be used in warm water. You can try to price match but I am not sure how successful you will be.

I have a Mares Abyss as first stage, and the older model of Mares Abyss as Octo. I put it on a yellow hose but it isn't yellow.
No one complained but wouldn't be a problem to paint it yellow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom