Primary and Secondary Regulators w/ dual Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwllorens

Registered
Reaction score
I ask this merely out of curiosity as I am just a very green OW diver. I am interested in the principles underlying various equipment setups and I have come across a bit of a question. I may not have all my facts straight but I will explain my question as I ask it. I am probably missing something fundamental to the principles of diving with two cylinders.

When diving a back mounted twinset, the gas supply is connected with a manifold. While the two cylinders can be isolated with the isolation valve, a nice option to have when dealing with problems such as a free flow, my understanding is that the tanks are not normally isolated from one another. Therefore under normal conditions, both regulators essentially provide gas from the same supply so the ability to rapidly donate a regulator is obviously the primary consideration when choosing whether to breathe from the long hose or the short hose by default. Obviously you would use the long hose as the primary regulator, because if it is in your mouth then it is also the fastest choice should you need to donate it to a team member in an out-of-air emergency.

Now, the answer to this may be clear cut to anyone with more experience than me, but his choice of which regulator to use as a primary regulator seems to be complicated a bit when the cylinders are used in a sidemount configuration. Since the cylinders are no longer connected with a manifold, they no longer act as a single gas supply but rather two independent gas supplies under normal conditions. As such, it seems that utilizing the long-hose as one's primary regulator is not such a clear choice, and factors other than the speed at which you can donate the regulator come into play. Here is why:

Imagine two divers in a shallow wreck that for some reason mandates that the divers proceed single file. The long hose allows for air sharing while proceeding in this manner, but the divers are using sidemount 80s filled with air. Both divers are using their long-hose as their primary regulator (which I believe is the proper thing to do even with sidemount?) and breathing it dry before switching to the secondary regulator on the other tank (this seems like it is probably not what you do). The divers hit the turnaround point in their gas supply while penetrating the wreck, so the tank with the long hose is down to one-third capacity because they have both been breathing off of that tank on their way in (one third of total gas supply subtracted from half of the total gas supply leaves one sixth of the total gas supply in the long-hose-tank, or a third of that tank.) Right at the turnaround point, a vicious moray eel, ala "The Deep," that also happens to be a Jurrasic-Park-velociraptor-intelligent-mutant due to exposure to radioactive waste, lunges out and bites clean through one of the diver's regulator hoses and then bites clean through the other. All of the sudden, diver A is in an OOA emergency, but the eel backs off because he wants to watch the chaos that he is certain will ensue. (The basic idea behind this scenario could play out in any manner where a diver has an OOA emergency at some point at or after the one-third-of-gas-used turnaround point, so long as the emergency happens after a good amount of gas has been consumed, obviously the dive would be aborted so this situation is avoided if the emergency occurs before significant gas consumption has taken place).

Diver B offers his primary regulator, the long hose. Both divers must now proceed single file back out of the wreck and to the tie in-point where their deco cylinders are secured, air sharing the whole way. But the tank attached to the long hose that has been donated only has a third of it's total capacity, and diver A is breathing fast because he was freaked out by that eel. The divers also kicked up some sediment on their way in that hasn't settled, so going back out is going slower. Diver B is breathing off his fresh tank hooked up to his secondary, short hose regulator, but diver A can't access that air supply because it is on a short hose and the divers are going single file.

Even worse, what if this happened on the way out when diver B just about almost finished off his long hose tank and his long hose was a few drags away from being a dead regulator?

This may be an overly contrived situation, but say something happens like a diver becomes entangled on the way out. The rule of thirds basically gives you a third of your air supply should something like that happen, but if you already breathed through the tank at the end of the long hose, you can't really air share at all.

Do sidemount divers breath on the short hose as their primary instead of the long hose? Do they manage their gas differently, such as switching to another regulator when a tank is at X% capacity or something?

You simply keep the same amount of gas in each tank... so you breathe off both regs each dive. Most setups are like that. And then there's UTD with a LP manifold which is often frowned upon.

You don't bet your life on a single tank (ie breathing one down before switching)

ok, you are very confused.... not a problem, but you're missing a lot of information.

In backmount doubles, the manifold connects the tanks prior to the valve outlet. This allows the valve to be shut off in event of a regulator malfunction without shutting the whole tank off. This allows you to have primary and secondary second stages, i.e. main and octo.

In sidemount or independent doubles, there is no way to connect the tanks prior to the valve outlet, so you have one of two options. Alternate your breathing regulators, which is how 99.99% of the sidemount diving community works. Typically start on the long hose, breathe that down 500/600psi depending, switch to short hose, breathe down 1000psi or 1200psi depending, swap to the long hose, breathe that 500/600 psi and turn the dive, then start the process over again. Other rare option is the UTD sidemount manifold block, which allows you to not have to switch the regulators in your mouth, but you actually have to shut the tank valves off and only breathe on one tank at a time due to the differential cracking pressures in the first stages. Not a commonly used system because turning tank valves off is much more of a pita than swapping second stages, only advantage is the long hose is always in your mouth for donation.

Hopefully that explains the answer to your question, but the short answer is the tanks are breathed down in a balanced manner, this is a requirement in large steel bottles where the weight of the gas can exceed 12lbs, anything more than a 500-600psi differential between the tanks in steels will cause the diver to list to the heavier side pretty dramatically. 500-600psi is easy, 1000+psi requires active input on the diver to compensate, and more than 1500lbs is very difficult to compensate for.

Ah, I see, that makes sense. I was aware that the manifold connected tanks prior to the first stages when using backmount doubles, but I was unaware of the gas management practices when using sidemount doubles. It makes sense that you would regularly swap regulators not only to prevent having an empty tank, but for buoyancy purposes.

It still seems like having two independent gas supplies is still a bit conflicting with the idea of a dedicated "octo" in the form of the long hose, since the short hose seems like it would not perform well for air sharing as it is much shorter than even recreational hoses, such that using a sidemount setup limits the amount of gas you can possibly share especially in tight caves or wrecks. I suppose this is not an issue really, but it still seems odd to me.

What would be the downside to an isolation manifold designed for sidemount doubles (unlike the one mentioned before) that would hook up before the first stage regulator? A quick google search does not reveal anything like this to exist, and perhaps it wouldn't even be worth making because you don't really need it. It wouldn't even need but one moving part (the isolation valve) and two hoses rated well above the maximum pressure of a tank so I can't imagine it to be terribly failure prone. The UTD one looks suspicious because it hooks up after the first stage regulators.

You don't air share with the "octo"...you donate the long hose in every case. If you are breathing off the long hose at the time of the air share emergency you switch to your bungee'd regulator (the octo in your description) and donate the long hose. Some sidemount divers prefer to rig up with two long hoses.

Besides the additional failure points that a "sidemount manifold" would create, it would net you little or no benefit and be a HUGE hassle at the surface. Not only do you get two fully independent gas sources (huge plus to me), you can see EVERYTHING that matters. The regs, valves, and hoses are all infront of you and visible (well, not in front....but visible). So, you don't have to dislocate shoulders to reach valves, there's no guessing what's failing where, there's no failure that you can't handle in a very efficient manner....and do so in a way equivalent to or better than with a manifold.

additionally, to get to the level of failure you described (one second stage regulator for 2 divers), you would have to have experienced 3 (or more) failures for the team. Clearly, if so, one might say your time has come....

the UTD system would be perfectly fine if you could balance the regulators and just have a LP manifold pulling from two sources equally, problem is physics say no to that. To do it with a HP system, you'd have to have HP quick disconnects to be able to connect the bottles together and that would be a problem for bottle off restrictions or even pushing one bottle forward.

dhboner made an incorrect statement in that you always donate the long hose, that isn't true, with certain regulator setups that is the case, Razor style, Edd style, etc do not allow the short hose to be donated because it is crossed under the long hose, but other setups allow you to donate whatever is in your mouth and then swap to the long hose if needed, so it isn't an "always" statement, just a normally.

Regarding short hose length, the "standard" short hose length is 32", about halfway between the primary and octo lengths found on common recreational setups. Plenty to share air face to face in a true emergency if you had to. Many have longer hoses than that, I need a 36" hose due to my size, but my setup prefers a 40" hose for comfort, to each his own, but the hoses are almost never shorter than 30" in the case of a small female diver with standard hose configurations

Sidemount teams often don't even bother with a long nose. Each diver manages his gas so that he can safely exit on either tank. In addition, it's possible to switch a working regulator to the other tank on a breath hold or feather the valve on the tank with the problem. Obviously, if you're diving as a mixed SM/BM team you will have a long hose for your BM partner.

I ask this merely out of curiosity as I am just a very green OW diver. I am interested in the principles underlying various equipment setups and I have come across a bit of a question. I may not have all my facts straight but I will explain my question as I ask it. I am probably missing something fundamental to the principles of diving with two cylinders.

When diving a back mounted twinset, the gas supply is connected with a manifold. While the two cylinders can be isolated with the isolation valve, a nice option to have when dealing with problems such as a free flow, my understanding is that the tanks are not normally isolated from one another. Therefore under normal conditions, both regulators essentially provide gas from the same supply so the ability to rapidly donate a regulator is obviously the primary consideration when choosing whether to breathe from the long hose or the short hose by default. Obviously you would use the long hose as the primary regulator, because if it is in your mouth then it is also the fastest choice should you need to donate it to a team member in an out-of-air emergency.

Now, the answer to this may be clear cut to anyone with more experience than me, but his choice of which regulator to use as a primary regulator seems to be complicated a bit when the cylinders are used in a sidemount configuration. Since the cylinders are no longer connected with a manifold, they no longer act as a single gas supply but rather two independent gas supplies under normal conditions. As such, it seems that utilizing the long-hose as one's primary regulator is not such a clear choice, and factors other than the speed at which you can donate the regulator come into play. Here is why:

Imagine two divers in a shallow wreck that for some reason mandates that the divers proceed single file. The long hose allows for air sharing while proceeding in this manner, but the divers are using sidemount 80s filled with air. Both divers are using their long-hose as their primary regulator (which I believe is the proper thing to do even with sidemount?) and breathing it dry before switching to the secondary regulator on the other tank (this seems like it is probably not what you do). The divers hit the turnaround point in their gas supply while penetrating the wreck, so the tank with the long hose is down to one-third capacity because they have both been breathing off of that tank on their way in (one third of total gas supply subtracted from half of the total gas supply leaves one sixth of the total gas supply in the long-hose-tank, or a third of that tank.) Right at the turnaround point, a vicious moray eel, ala "The Deep," that also happens to be a Jurrasic-Park-velociraptor-intelligent-mutant due to exposure to radioactive waste, lunges out and bites clean through one of the diver's regulator hoses and then bites clean through the other. All of the sudden, diver A is in an OOA emergency, but the eel backs off because he wants to watch the chaos that he is certain will ensue. (The basic idea behind this scenario could play out in any manner where a diver has an OOA emergency at some point at or after the one-third-of-gas-used turnaround point, so long as the emergency happens after a good amount of gas has been consumed, obviously the dive would be aborted so this situation is avoided if the emergency occurs before significant gas consumption has taken place).

Diver B offers his primary regulator, the long hose. Both divers must now proceed single file back out of the wreck and to the tie in-point where their deco cylinders are secured, air sharing the whole way. But the tank attached to the long hose that has been donated only has a third of it's total capacity, and diver A is breathing fast because he was freaked out by that eel. The divers also kicked up some sediment on their way in that hasn't settled, so going back out is going slower. Diver B is breathing off his fresh tank hooked up to his secondary, short hose regulator, but diver A can't access that air supply because it is on a short hose and the divers are going single file.

Even worse, what if this happened on the way out when diver B just about almost finished off his long hose tank and his long hose was a few drags away from being a dead regulator?

This may be an overly contrived situation, but say something happens like a diver becomes entangled on the way out. The rule of thirds basically gives you a third of your air supply should something like that happen, but if you already breathed through the tank at the end of the long hose, you can't really air share at all.

Do sidemount divers breath on the short hose as their primary instead of the long hose? Do they manage their gas differently, such as switching to another regulator when a tank is at X% capacity or something?

You breathe from both every 300-500 psi because that's how you can keep proper trim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom