Primary and backup dive lights???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeepman3sk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going for my advanced this spring. I need to buy a primary and a backup light. My old backup died on a dive so it needs to be replace as well. Can anyone recommend dive lights for me. I would like to stay away from canisters due to the price. Thanks everyone!

I use two UK sl6 lights as backups; one on each shoulder strap. They are pretty darn bright, but a little bulky. I've only had them on a couple of dives and have tested them, and they do the job well. The size does take some getting used to, but after 6 dives with them I hardly notice they are there.

Right now I'm working on making a primary light, but right now I'm using a UK light canon. It isn't as bright as I would like, and I would prefer a goodman handle. Other than that I have no complaints.

when i first started diving, 10yrs ago - i bought a UK light also and hubby uses it all the time (lends it to students) and its still going strong and i think we own 2 or 3 of the buggers.

valentines day i recieved a diverite can light so hope to find out what its like this weekend :D

hummm ... best bang for the buck ...

primary:
Princeton Tec, Miniwave LED
150 Lumens - batteries last forever.

backup:
Underwater Kinetics Sunlight SL4 eLED Dive Light
Princeton Tec Torrent LED

or
Princeton Tec, Impact XL (last 50 hrs, but the light is not as bright as the above 2)

Advanced what? I would have assumed AOW, but most AOW candidates have never even heard of a can light. And what kind of diving do you plan to do? Different primary lights for different purposes, as you might expect. As far as backups, the UK Mini-Q40 is a winner. Very cheap, small, and bomb-proof.

Naui Advanced (AOW). The dive shop that I go to is very into the tech diving. I am using a bp/w set up which I love. I am also doing their intro to tech course and Nitrox as well. I would like to do my Master Diver in the next year or so.

Right now I think I'm going to get the UK light cannon 100. I have found it for a decent price. As for my back up I had the Princeton Tec LED until it flooded and died. I was thinking of getting that one again.

Seems my preference is starting to look like a consenseus.

I use a Princeton Tec Miniwav LED as primary and a Underwater Kenetics Q40 Plus eLED as a backup.

The Miniwav using only 4 C cells is 9 watts and as bright as any 8 cell LED light I've seen.

The UK is a 2 watt light in the Plus version and is quite the performer for a light that fits in a pocket easily.

Back
Top Bottom