Primary 2nd stage and octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am aware of the fact that octos are designed similar to their primary counterparts. From what I was told, octos tend to be more difficult to breath through to prevent free flow. I was also told that quality is not as good on octos when compared to primary 2nd stages.
In respect to atomic regs, is there a difference between the primary and it's octo counterpart? The atomic site states that they are essentially the same thing, but why would someone pay $300 more for a primary if it is the same as an octo?

Is there a way to tell the difference between the two? I purchased a B2 primary from a seller here and am planning on purchasing its octo but many members on eBay are pawnshops who do not know which they have (color kit vs. yellow octo)

I don't consider my regulators as either primary or secondary (octo)...I will breath with either or both routinely during a dive. Thus I use two regulators of the same make and style. Currently I use two ScubaPRo S600s; before that I used Sherwood SR1s (now back-up regulators). I recently purchased an Atomic B1 used and will be purchasing a second B1 soon. I use a long hose and a short hose configuration and often switch between the two regulators to stay familuarized with each. The Regulator with the long hose (7') is my main breathing regulator, however, this is the same regulator I will lend to another diver if an emergency is happening or being prevented. My other or short-hose regulator is tathered around my neck, just below my chin, for quick and easy access by me.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 04:00 PM ----------

...Is there a way to tell the difference between the two? I purchased a B2 primary from a seller here and am planning on purchasing its octo but many members on eBay are pawnshops who do not know which they have (color kit vs. yellow octo)

I suggest staying away from Pawn Shops unless you truely know what you are looking for or they let you have it examined by an authorized service technician...just not worth the hassle if something REALLY is worong with it in the long run.

If you look at the prices, there's no difference between a given Atomic "octo" and the same Atomic primary second stage. If you do see a difference, it's probably because of a swivle hose (primary) or not (octo), or because they're using a lesser version for the octo (B2 primary, Z2 octo). See here: Atomic Aquatics -

See also Scuba.com, which lists the M1 octo as a $350 addon, and lists the M1 second stage by itself for $350. The B2 is a $430 octo add on and a $430 second stage by itself.

I just looked on Leisure Pro's website and they have several Atomic Octos (no 1st stage, just 2nd stage) reasonable around the same price as your $300 e-Bay prices:

B1 - $430
Z2 - $290
T2i - $350

Atomic Aquatics B2 Swivel Octopus, Yellow

Look on Atomic's Webiste the the difference in materials and features of each regulator.

Sam, you were told a load of stinking BS. Octos breath harder than primaries because they are tuned that way by the tech to prevent free flows. The internals and the case of the reg is the same. The only thing that differs is the color of the cover and sometimes the exhaust tee.

Thank you, everyone.
That is what I figured (they are the same but tuned differently to avoid free flow). I just double checked leisurepro, the $700 price I saw was for a 1st and 2nd stage and the $350 price was for the octo on it's own, I suppose that's what minimal research does to you!
Thanks for showing me those options oldbear, the pawnshop on eBay actually had a b2 octo listed for $175 but ill consider purchasing from someone more experienced.

I do have one more quick question. Would I run into any problems if I ran my b2 second stage with my aqualung titan first stage?

.......except for the super mini flat and hockey puck style octos have a reputation as not very good breathers.
This is because of their shape and how the air flows within the 2nd stage, they are just as reliable as any other regulator.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 06:37 PM ----------

As for mixing and matching....no worries.
If you put your B2 on your Titan you'll now have a set that is every bit as good as a regular Titan LX.

Thank you, everyone.
That is what I figured (they are the same but tuned differently to avoid free flow). I just double checked leisurepro, the $700 price I saw was for a 1st and 2nd stage and the $350 price was for the octo on it's own, I suppose that's what minimal research does to you!
Thanks for showing me those options oldbear, the pawnshop on eBay actually had a b2 octo listed for $175 but ill consider purchasing from someone more experienced.

I do have one more quick question. Would I run into any problems if I ran my b2 second stage with my aqualung titan first stage?

Except for the Fashion Police for mixing gear...you will be fine.

Fashion Police.jpg

.......except for the super mini flat and hockey puck style octos have a reputation as not very good breathers.
This is because of their shape and how the air flows within the 2nd stage, they are just as reliable as any other regulator.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 06:37 PM ----------

As for mixing and matching....no worries.
If you put your B2 on your Titan you'll now have a set that is every bit as good as a regular Titan LX.

I was thinking the same thing. I have an ABS on my current reg, and I noticed that breathing feels restricted from it. Oh well, guess I'll just have to use my old primary as my new octo. And thank you, that's good to know!

Except for the Fashion Police for mixing gear...you will be fine.

View attachment 153078

They've never bothered me before, guess I'll be okay :)

Sam,
If you call Leisurepro they will usually do better on prices than on their website. They are constrained by a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) agreement with many of their suppliers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom