Pressed Steel HP E-8 130s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFL_diver

Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting two of these at my local dive shop. Does anyone own them, how do they work and hold up?

I also considered the Pressed Steel 120 and the 119. Would 130 be too big?

I'm also looking for recommendations for 1st stage/2nd stage/reg to buy for it. I am looking for a DIN setup. I am thinking about the Dive Rite RG2500 with DIN setup-- http://www.diverite.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=RG2500

How does that Reg compare?

Singles or doubles? How big are you? What kinda diving do you do?

I agree with pants, more info is definitely needed. If you're mostly an ocean boat diver, I'd say double up some AL80s and have at it. Don't be doubling up steel tanks if you're diving in a wetsuit.

SFL_diver:
I am thinking about getting two of these at my local dive shop. Does anyone own them, how do they work and hold up?

I'm also looking for recommendations for 1st stage/2nd stage/reg to buy for it. I am looking for a DIN setup. I am thinking about the Dive Rite RG2500 with DIN setup-- http://www.diverite.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=RG2500

As far as the tank is concerned, if you take good care of it you should expect it to last many, many years. Keep the inside of the tank and valve completely dry at all times, even just a few drops of water can be bad.

The choice between the E7-120, the E8-119, and the E8-130 boils down to just a few basic considerations. The 119, and 120 models contain basically the same amount of gas and the 130 contains about 10 cubic feet more. Any of the three tanks should have more than enough gas for any reasonable recreational dive. Basically look at the overall size of the tank and pick. if you are tall then the 120 or 130 have more length and might make a better choice, if you are normal height then perhaps the 119 might make a better choice. Stand the three tanks up next to an aluminum 80 and make your choice based on size when compared to a tank you are most likely used to diving with.

The DiveRite regulator is a good regulator and would work fine with any tank. Arguably there are better regulators, but by better some regulators may only be slightly better. This reg compares with the better regulators from Apeks, ScubaPro, Zeagle, Aqualung, and others.

To boil it down, you are looking at good tanks and a good regulator.

Bye the way, welcome to ScubaBoard.

Mark Vlahos

SFL_diver:

Hi SFL,

Definitely DIN, I have both the e8 130 and e8 119. As singles the 130's a great. I was going to consider diving them doubled up but decided to go with the 119's. The 130's are BIG heavy tanks. I'm 6'1" and 205 and really enjoy the 130 as a single but cant imagine lugging around two strapped together. I can't really answer the question as to how they hold up as this is my first season with them. I dive in Canada and they have only been in cold water. Originally I had a hard time getting a full fill (3442 psi) but now I enjoy a slight overfill every time from my LDS. (thanks guys!)

They are both -10.5 pounds negative when full which means you can take some lead off your belt too which is also a plus!

Another great thing about them is the extended bottom time you get. Most of the buddies I dive with use AL80 and when they are leaving the water with 900-1000 psi I still have upwards of 1800 in the tank. Now my buddies want to move to steels to....and NOT a moment too soon :)

IMHO you can't go wrong with either of these tanks.

I don't have any experience with the Dive-Rite regs but I have heard they are a great breathing setup. I personally dive with 2 Apeks ATX 200's and ABSOLUTELY love these regs. The deeper you go the better they breathe. They never breathe wet in any position including completely inverted.

Good Luck! and Safe Diving.

Thanks for the info guys.

I am planning on using the tanks within Florida (mainly South Florida and the Keys). So I won't be doing any deep diving, mainly just reef diving, and maybe an occasional ship wreck here and there.

I plan on diving just singles (no doubles). I wanted to have the HP 130 so that I had the ability to go lobstering on the reefs for a long time if I needed to.

In comparing the HP 130 to the HP 120, I've concluded that diameter seems to bother me less, vs. length. Too long could be annoying.

I looked at the Apex ATX200 on LeisurePro -- http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SQTAATX200

It shows it to be a Yoke connection. Do they make it with a DIN connection?

HP120 is reallllly long. They make the ATX200 in a DIN connection, yes. Check www.salvodiving.com and www.scubastore.com for Apeks regulators.

The 130 is a large tank, no question.. It's a bit of a beast as a single. Maybe the 119 instead, or some double Al 80s?

pants!:
HP120 is reallllly long. They make the ATX200 in a DIN connection, yes. Check www.salvodiving.com and www.scubastore.com for Apeks regulators.

The 130 is a large tank, no question.. It's a bit of a beast as a single. Maybe the 119 instead, or some double Al 80s?

i'm hoping my e7-100's are going to make nice doubles...al80's would be some serious positive swing by the end of the dive

SFL_diver:
Thanks for the info guys.

I am planning on using the tanks within Florida (mainly South Florida and the Keys). So I won't be doing any deep diving, mainly just reef diving, and maybe an occasional ship wreck here and there.

I plan on diving just singles (no doubles). I wanted to have the HP 130 so that I had the ability to go lobstering on the reefs for a long time if I needed to.

Do you have your own boat? You're not going to be staying down long enough to need that much gas if you're diving off of a S. Florida charter. If you beach dive, are you going to want to haul that big a tank across a beach and deal with even slight surf? If you stay down long enough on the reef to use that much gas you're going to be doing deco. Are you ready for that? Those big heavy tanks aren't made for thin wetsuit diving. You need to think this through.

Welcome to the board. Read through it a little while. Study. Research.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom