press purge button when opening tank valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to do a study on this a few years back but never got around to it. Can you substantially lengthen the life of the high pressure seat in balanced and unbalanced piston regs by pressing the purge button on the second stage, then open the tank valve and then slowly release the purge until air flow stops? I was told this and it seemed to make sense by not slamming the stem of the piston into the seat. ?? Hank

Hank49:
I wanted to do a study on this a few years back but never got around to it. Can you substantially lengthen the life of the high pressure seat in balanced and unbalanced piston regs by pressing the purge button on the second stage, then open the tank valve and then slowly release the purge until air flow stops? I was told this and it seemed to make sense by not slamming the stem of the piston into the seat. ?? Hank

I don't know for sure either but it makes sense to me too. I always do this.

--Matt

Why not open the tank slowly???

I do it with my Mares Abyss. They have a somewhat sensitive HP seat.
It was recommended to me by the LDS where I bought it.

I was taught in my open water class to always press the purge valve when opening the tank. I thought this was a pretty common practice.

This is a very good practice with downstream valve second stages. This simple act allows the initial valve closure to be somewhat cushioned. I would estimate that this could extend the life of the HP seat by at least 25%.

Greg

Very interesting... I actually READ my regulator manual, & it noted that this should be done (made sense to me). In my 3 years of diving since owning my own equip., I have NEVER observed anyone else practicing this sensible procedure.

I don't get it. When I open my tank valve slowly, I can clearly hear air entering the hoses for at least two seconds. During this time the hoses all stiffen up.

The fact that air is flowing through the LP ports means that the HP seat isn't engaged, right? What would forcing *more* air through the LP ports do for you?

For large tanks, I just open it slowly...

For small tanks like 40s, I can never get it to open very slowly, so I try, but I keep the reg purged so that I'm covered if I fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom