prescription scuba mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advise. Actually, I got my contact lenses a couple months back. The prescription posted is for my contacts not eyeglasses. And you are perfectly right, I have the B&L 66 Torics 2 weeks disposable. I paid about $9 / pair, which is a deal I got including an eye exam.

I have looked at the HydroOptix website before I start this thread and looked at the chart on the website as well. (As a side note, I have even forwarded the links to my other friends who will be going scuba diving with me - the specs on the website are fantastic!) But I have not considered ordering it for myself as I am not really sure if it would have enough power for my astigmatism and Rx.

Timotheus:
Another vote for Sea Vision. No fussing with glue-in lenses.
Just visited LeisurePro recently (yay. converted to be a LeisurePro fan too). They carry a large range of masks in stock including SeaVision and Tusa. Unfortunately, the SeaVision mask's nose piece is way too big for me. I could barely touch my nose with that on. So SeaVision is out of my league too. :(

Hi smilelims,

With the HO Double-Dome mask you would still have to wear contacts, to correct your astigmatism (CYL), and to partially reduce your nearsighted vision (SPH). I believe the B&L Soflens 66 Torics max out at -2.75 CYL, but you said your Rx was -3.5 CYL? Was your Rx for another brand of contact lens? In any case, it is easy to convert your in-air Rx for contacts to the Double-Dome Rx:

Use the same brand / base curve of lens.
Use the same CYL power (astigmatism) that works for you now in-air
Reduce the SPH based on age (see below).

Example: let's say your Rx is -7.5 SPH and -3.5 CYL

If under 30, your "Diving Rx" contact lens would be -4.5 SPH and -3.5 CYL
(net = -3.0 SPH "gap," corrected by HO mask)

If mid-30's, your "Diving Rx" contact lens would be -4.0 SPH and -3.5 CYL
(net = -3.5 SPH "gap," corrected by HO mask)

If over-40, your "Diving Rx" contact lens would be -3.5 SPH and -3.5 CYL
(net = -4.5 SPH "gap," corrected by HO mask)

I am looking to get a prescription mask for my wife. She currently uses a Mares X vison mask and it fits her.

Looking at Seavision's website, it seems like the best idea is to use one of their masks to get the prescription lens for.

My question is: before I spend the $$ ordering the mask, what kinda of confidence can I have that the seavision mask will properly fit her?

Any thoughts?

Biodiversity_guy:
My question is: before I spend the $$ ordering the mask, what kinda of confidence can I have that the seavision mask will properly fit her?

Pretty much none.

If she can't try it on, there's no way to know how well it fits.

Terry

Biodiversity_guy:
I am looking to get a prescription mask for my wife. She currently uses a Mares X vison mask and it fits her.

Looking at Seavision's website, it seems like the best idea is to use one of their masks to get the prescription lens for.

I would send her existing mask, which I assume fits her well, to www.prescriptiondivemasks.com, along with a copy of her prescription, and have them make custom lenses for her. Since the X-Vision is designed to have replaceable lenses for corrective lenses, they'll actually cut glass to her prescription and replace the stock glass. Way better than that chintzy glue-on stuff. This is what I did just this past February, and I can't be happier with the results. Contact them first to make sure they're doing the full glass replacement and not the bonding their website indicates, but I can say they did it right for my mask (my LDS sent it in to them).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom