Prescription Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

occdn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in need of a prescription mask. I don't even know where to begin is the problem. I called my local Sears Optical and the woman on the line acted as if I was speaking spanish when I asked if they had the ability to make lenses for scuba masks or had masks in stock.

Maybe there is a newbie guide to this?
Thanks.

I am in need of a prescription mask. I don't even know where to begin is the problem. I called my local Sears Optical and the woman on the line acted as if I was speaking spanish when I asked if they had the ability to make lenses for scuba masks or had masks in stock.

Maybe there is a newbie guide to this?
Thanks.

I see you are located in Canada.
www.nanaimodiveoutfitters.ca carries a mask that will fit any -1 to -9 dipoter. They can install the lens in minutes and they carry all sizes in stock.

Search is your friend, as there are several threads on this subject with recommendations of who makes them.

I worked thru my LDS and was able to get a prescription mask with bi-focals. Took about one week, but the prescriptions were perfect. Very happy with the results. Check with your LDS. I bet they can help you out.

Don't bother with the LDS, go to these folks. They are divers who support their dive habit by making prescription dive mask :) Really nice folks who are more than happy to talk with you about your mask needs. I have 2 from them and when I need another one, it will be from them. Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878

SeaVision will take your prescription and grind the lenses in one of their masks. Find a dive shop that carries them, find a mask that fits and send THAT mask to SeaVision with your prescription. If you have a simple nearsighted prescription with a common diopter, then you can buy lenses for a lot of masks. Your Dive shop should be able to handle this.

First of all - how complicated prescription do you need?

If you only need plain minus glasses <8 (or 10), go to you dive shop and try the models they sell with drop in lenses. Most shops will have a few. Some nameless cheap ones that might be fine, most likely something from Tusa or Cressi (Cressi Big Eyes is one that fits a lot of faces and is a very popular mask) etc.

If you need plain reading glasses, you might be able to buy inserts for your mask that are just glued (floated) on from your LDS shop as well.

These options are generally the most affordable and work fine for most people - especially as starters while you find out what mask fits you best. (Remember you first need to find what mask fits you best whatever option you choose anyway. Do not order expensive Rx lenses for ANY mask. ANY mask will NOT work. You need to try it on).

However, if you need complicated prescription (bifocal, astigmatism or any other crookedy eye combo) you are better of looking at the links people provided in this thread.

And remember if you just have minus lenses with strength less than -2, you might not need glasses at all under water - and you can also consider using contact lenses. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom