Prescription Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use them all the time. Their mask fits many people well and their turnaround time is very good. Be sure to send them the pupillary distance which you can get from whoever makes your glasses or can be measured by a friend in millimeters.

Pupillary distance? Is that part of the prescription?

Pupillary distance? Is that part of the prescription?

Yes, it is part of my prescription... :wink: Duh

Thanks Akimbo, do you know if the actually replace the lens in your mask or grind a prescription lens and glue it in?

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 11:32 AM ----------

No contacts for me...

---------- Post added January 9th, 2013 at 11:41 AM ----------

Found it.

The lenses are permanently bonded to the inside of the faceplate with an optically-clear silicon epoxy that's been developed in high-technology manufacturing. We make our lenses from glass, not plastic. Our lenses are guaranteed not to fade, discolor or come apart for the life of the mask

I've been using them for well over 10 years. They are excellent masks and the stand-behind service is outstanding. Most people will go with their gauge readers - due to price (they can mass produce), which allow you to focus on things up close and still have a clear lens for looking past that.

My last mask with them was a custom order, because the typical reader mask has the magnification areas close to your nose. So you have to look thru your right eye to read a gauge, for example, on you left arm and vice-versa to read one on your left. I needed a lens that would let me look at my left arm using my left eye, so I asked that the magnification panel extend all the way across the bottom of each mask. They did, by permanently installing magnification lens at the bottom of each panel.

However, I just ordered a new mask with the same set up, only this time I needed a +3 diopter, which I couldn't find in a "SeaVision." So, here's the link: Vision Correcting Masks and Gauge Reader Masks - Dive Gear Express

It's a SeaVenture. Holding the SeaVision next to the SeaVenture I can see that they are "IDENTICAL" in every single detail, and has the magnification panels all the way across the bottom of each vision panel, just like my +2 SeaVision.

Been using one for 4 years now from them. Have my Bifocal script in it. Next one I buy will be from them as well. Thing is with them and the other company I used for my first mask (Scubaoptics) the lenses were more clocely ground to my actual script and better than the glasses from the optometrist as far as being able to see above and underwater!

… do you know if the actually replace the lens in your mask or grind a prescription lens and glue it in?...

Mine is a glue-on to an XS-Scuba Merge which has a frameless direct-bonded single window mask. I can’t find a two-lens mask that fits. The lenses are bi-focal. It has worked flawlessly for about 3 years. Call them and see what you think. As I recall, the Doc is a diver himself.

Don’t plan on coming to the coast for diving this week… pretty much sea state terrible right now.

If you ever pass through Ukiah on your way to dive the Mendocino Coast you can bring your own mask to Scuba Vision and get everything fit to you by the Doc. I bring him my prescription form Costco and the mask. I personally feel better with the face-to-face on something like this.

Scuba Vision in Ukiah

Sounds good to me, but I would go to a well regarded Opthamologist for a full consolation, including the possible use of contacts...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom