Prescription Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Negawing

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am going diving in a few weeks, and I was planning on getting a prescription mask. My prescription is -2.75, but the only lenses that they have (or make for that matter) are the -2.5 and -2.75 ones. Does anyone know if it would be better to go up or down? I think they are the Mares lenses if that helps.

Thanks!

I would say go for what your prescription is. And if they don't have that then I'd go with the closest higher option (if its pretty close).. Are you sure your eyes are finished changing?? Mine have been getting progressively worse for 11 years now so for me I'd get something stronger than needed if my prescription is not available. Just don't forget to bring your glasses or contacts for the drive home because you'd look a little funny driving in a scuba mask. :D

My eyes have been getting worse, so it makes sense to get the prescription that is one up. While different than my glasses by a little, being able to see will be nice.

Consider custom prescription lenses, especially if you have any astigmatism. Prescription Dive Masks does wonderful work. Many references can be found on SB.

You can also consider wearing contacts, and just a plain mask, if that's an option for you.

Ditto Prescription Dive Masks but your window of opportunity is going to be tight if you're going diving in a couple of weeks. I just got back my third mask from PDM a couple of months ago. As I recall, turnaround time was 10 days from the day I mailed it to the day I received it. I know PDM says typical turnaround time is 10 days after they receive it, so I was pleasantly surprised to get it back that fast.

So before you go that route, you should give them a call to make sure they could send it back to you in time for your trip.

Good luck!

Actually in water it makes all the sense to go down instead of up if you do not have exact Rx available and you wear minus glasses. Water magnifies things anyway. If you know your eyes have deteriorated since last check up, get them checked before investing in new glasses. Wearing glasses above your prescription is not healthy. Any reputable dive shop that sells Rx glasses should be able to advice you to go down if options are 0.25 above or below.

Hello everyone.

I am going diving in a few weeks, and I was planning on getting a prescription mask. My prescription is -2.75, but the only lenses that they have (or make for that matter) are the -2.5 and -2.75 ones. Does anyone know if it would be better to go up or down? I think they are the Mares lenses if that helps.

Thanks!

Believe it or not, your prescription u/w is not exactly what it is on land due to the difference in light refraction. I would suggest contacting a company like Seavision SeaVision because they know how to properly modify your prescription.

We've been using them for years. GREAT customer service! They even do bifocals.

Bonne chance,

I just got my new glasses a few months ago, so my prescription shouldn't have changed much. My prescription does get a little stronger each time though.

How much does the water magnify everything?

I would order from one of the websites, but I am afraid that they wouldn't be here in time (I am leaving in less than two weeks), and I can also get them at the dive shop for less money, which is nice because I am a poor college student!

On average, your perscription is generaly one point LOWER in the water due to the natrual magnification. I'm not saying go out and get a lower perscription but if you had, say a -9 and all you could get was a -8 or a -8.5 in over the counter mask lenses those would do just fine.

I myself used contacts when diving until I broke down and got Lasik surgery. My perscription was about a -9 in both eyes and the strongest over the counter mask lenses I could find were -8.5 and they worked great for me.

Last edited:
I have absolutely terrible eyes... and have both prescription and over the counter lens masks.

You don't need a strong a prescription in a mask.. for two reason:

1. The water magnification issue.

2. While I wish you could...for the most part you will never be looking at anything underwater from very far away... at the most a couple hundred feet... so being able to see far away is not an issue.

I currently use a mask with my left eye with the next size down prescription and my right eye.. 2 units less (so I can see close up for picture taking..)..love how well it works, but if you don't have old eyes.. then just a bit less is great.

Mares masks they have the premade lens for are great, by the way..

Back
Top Bottom