Prescription Mask??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nedbrown

New
Reaction score
Anyone have bad eyesight?
Anyone got prescription masks?
Are they any good?
I'm curious to get 1 with a mask, as my last dive limited me... any ideas?

Ned,

I have dived extensively with prescription masks as well as with contacts and lasik. The prescription masks are great. I have them available thru my website and can answer any questions you may have. Drop by my web page or send me an email, if I can help!

Gary

Welcome to the board.

I use a bifocal prescription mask, it was well worth the money. I can see far off and still read that tiny text on my camera. I have used Prescription Dive Mask several time and have been very happy with their service.
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

I would also encourage you to add your location to your profile. Many times it's easier for us to suggest places to go and other location specific items if we have some idea where in the world you live. It's also kind of neet just to see where we all are.

My first 50 dives were done without my prescription. I have astigmatism in both eyes but can still see without glasses. Only problem is my depth perception is way off. I had my prescription put in my mask and it's great. The lenses are glued in on mine and it's great. It cost me about 159.00 and was well worth it.

I use soft contacts, and they work very nicely.

You can usually get a test pair of contacts for free from your eye doctor if you want to try them.

If you get lenses put in your mask, make sure there's some sort of assurance that if you can't see well, they'll fix it, otherwise you will have paid for a mask and lenses and be unable to use either.

Terry

nedbrown:
Are they any good?

Check out the Tusa Splendive IV mask, with optional (.5 unit) lens diopters. It is a quality product, customizable for each eye, reasonably priced and easily available at many LDS.

My first 'correction' was an old oval mask in which I glued lenses out of eyeglasses. Worked great, but I happened to have a pair of glasses with lenses that were flat on the front edge, so were easy to glue to the mask lens. You have to be careful what kind of glue you use, and get all the bubbles out of the glue...

Next I bought a low-profile mask with prescription lenses. Also works great. If you don’t have unusual needs (like high astigmatism correction) then you can order ‘standard’ lenses for the mask in the closest diopter. They don’t have to be your exact prescription.

You can also get masks with custom-ground lenses, if you do need more than just ‘standard’ correction.

I mostly dive with a normal mask and disposable contacts. I throw away the contacts after any dive where my mask floods.

FWIW, my contacts are -6.5 and -7.0. My mask lenses are something like -6.0 (I've had them for several years, and I think they were the strongest available) and I see fine underwater. I also bought a plastic 'safe' for my glasses so I can keep 'em handy on the dive boat without having to worry about 'em getting crushed.

nedbrown:
Are they any good?

When made well they are very nice to dive with. If you have an LDS nearby ask if they have a specific place they use. Ive seen the lenses installed very well and Ive seen them very sloppily inserted. (Glue all gooped-up etc.)

prescription masks:
1. are they heavy?
2. are the prescription lenses the same size as the mask lens?
3. Doesn't this create more tunnel vision than a normal mask?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom