Prescription lenses in a Framless Mask??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,
Did you wind up getting lenses out in into a frameless mask? If you did, what where the results? Anyone else have some experience with this?
Stas

I've seen divers with frameless masks who had prescription lenses made and epoxied onto the inside of the existing glass. I did this for my standard mask and, while it looks weird, the product is very, very good. There are at least two companies that do this -- one is Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego; I've forgotten the name and location of the other one but someone here will know it as it's popular with east coast divers. You provide your mask, prescription, and mark your pupil centers on the outside of the mask. The opticians adjust your prescription for water magnification and will make any type of lenses you need, such as bifocals, with or without the line.

Has anyone experience how weird it might be if your eyes aren't the same Rx? Looking a bit sideways and getting distorted vision through the other lens? How bad is the midline cut if indeed different lenses are glued into one-window mask?

The prescription lenses are made according to your standard Rx -- each side can be a different cylinder, grind or thickness. You should ask the company about the lens locations for your specific mask and Rx -- each job is different. Sometimes there's distortion when I look at something from a funny angle and I have to nudge the mask (or move my head) to compensate. It's better than not seeing! As far as looking through the wrong side of the mask goes? I'm pretty sure your brain will train you and you'll instinctively move your head instead!

Has anyone had prescription lenses installed in a frameless mask?? did you like the results...?

It's possible to put lenses in almost anything, since they go on with an optial adhesive and just need a flat surface.

However if your prescription is strong or weird, you'll be a lot happier with disposable contacts. Glasses generally stay in a fixed position on your face, while it's really easy to put your mask on a little off-center or too high, low or misaligned, which will distort your vision.

Disposable contacts are cheap, easy and can be used with any mask, so if you lose or break yours, you can still dive.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom