Prescription lens service- your best/worst experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tardigrade

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi-

Can some of you can help me with your experience of mail-order prescription lenses?

I have one pair of optical lenses that fit my Cressi Oceano skirts, frame and other colored trim parts. I switch from clear skirt to black skirt for different water conditions, but after 20 years of use enough of the tabs have broken that I need to quit playing around, epoxy it, and put it in the spare mask pocket.

After trying on dozens of masks, I snagged a black Hollis single faceplate that fits perfectly and has a nice field of view. There are a bunch of threads about optical lenses, and some about sending them out to get them done, but if I could get some feedback on who does a quality job for a fair price I'd appreciate it.

I have used these guys for several mask - full prescriptions including bifocals. They have done a great job and are always great to talk with on the phone. Cheap they are not but you often get what you pay for. I have been happy with all the mask and service I have gotten from them. Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

I use and feel the same way as Herman about Prescriptiondivemasks.com....I have several prescription masks, different brands w/slightly different prescriptions for different uses...They have always been great to talk to, always helpful...It's usually about a 3-4 week turn-around. Send them your latest eye exam and mark the focal point on which ever mask you send them [just like the optician does when they fit your regular glasses]...If you dive alot it's worth the money to have a backup mask too.....

I've always liked the work from PDM, but ( about a year ago now ), the high index blanks were no longer available for bi-focals. I found the lens just too thick and heavy using the standard glas, so I gave Seavision a try. I'm very happy with the end result, even with the problems encountered. See this thread.

As a dive guide,just a suggestion;ten years ago I got Lasik Mono-vision surgery which my left eye was 'corrected' to 20/40 for close up & my dominate right eye to 20/15 for distance viewing. It was the best money I ever spent in my life.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

More good words for PDM.com.

If you can actually dive the new mask to be absolutely certain you like the fit and function in the water that is nice insurance.

Pete

And yet another endorsement for Prescription Dive Masks. My wife and I have used them for years with no complaints. Turnaround time for us has been typically 2 to 3 weeks, but I always call before I send the mask to get an estimate of how long it will take.

I got one made by the guy who says he invented the process, Dr. Leonard Maggiore. Prescription Dive Masks. I needed some serious correction with a bad astigmatism, and higher +factor than you can get from drop-ins. I also needed the bifocals.
You send him the mask of your choice, and he grinds the lenses himself. He has done work for the Navy, and many large commercial diving operations. I got mine back inside of a week, and the correction is perfect. This was the first time I could see every small thing on the bottom, and could practically count the grains of sand. With the bifocals, I can see everything in my camcorder's viewfinder. The price was also very reasonable. I believe the quote for mine was $175. He comes highly recommended!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom