Prescription Lens Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmccabe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently sent an identical new Scubapro Clear VU 4 mask to optician Leonard Maggiore in Long Beach, NY and Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego, CA. Each was to be fitted with the exact same prescription (bifocals) and a +3.75 correction. I didn't plan on doing this, but delays with PDM forced me into finding a second vendor since PDM was taking so long. This experience does serve as a good comparison of services and quality for prescription lenses, but an expensive one.

Comparison as follows:
Mr. Marriore, Long Beach NY - He's an optician who "invented" scuba mask prescription lenses many years ago and is still in business. I talked with him by phone and read my prescription to him to be sure he could do it and return the mask in time to make a dive trip the first week of April. I received the mask back today and the lenses are great. Less than 2 weeks turnaround from the day I sent it - which he says is normal time. (super!!). Total cost was about 20% less than PDM (same bifocal prescription) and included return priority shipping. Workmanship on the lenses is about the same - very good - with the bifocal viewing a bit restricted to a narrow angle like the lenses done by PDM. I think the mask shape plays a big role in that now having done two identical masks by difference services.

Prescription Dive Masks, San Diego CA - I used them for another set of lenses three years ago. Good service and good lenses back then. This latest order was a bit of a nightmare! It took them almost two months to finally ship the mask, albeit overnight delivery. This all started back in early January with a similar call. Got three difference reasons for the delay via e-mails and phone calls. And I thought I was going to have to eat the costs as it was taking so long. I assume the "damaged skirt" reason was correct as the mask I finally received was not the one I sent - but still appeared to be a brand new Scubapro of the same model.

Bottom line - I'd use Mr. Maggiore again in a heartbeat. Lower cost, comparable lens quality and much quicker turnaround. You talk to him on the phone and he's the optician making the lenses. Using PDM - I am not so sure. My recent experience may be a fluke. Others have certainly gotten good service as did I in the past.

I myself have gotten quotes from "Prescription Dive Masks" (PDM) Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878. and Leonard Maggiore (LM) Prescription Dive Masks I have high astigmatism > 4.0 and I must say that looking for a solution to the problem was a headache. These two small companies are the only ones that can customize any mask with any prescription using glass lenses bonded to the inside of the original plano glass lens of the mask.

With seavisionusa you have to purchase one of their masks and then they custom grind your lenses. These lenses are plastic [CR-39] however, and they replace the mask lens. They are not bonded.

After much thought I have given PDM my order. LM's website should have more photos and explanations. To me both companies seem cagey, as if the grinding and bonding process of the lenses is a trade secret.

PDM is more expensive than LM. I will let you know how it goes. I am sending them a brand new Cressi big eyes evolution crystal mask.

With seavisionusa you have to purchase one of their masks and then they custom grind your lenses. These lenses are plastic [CR-39] however, and they replace the mask lens. They are not bonded.

I've used PDM in the past and have been very happy. But, on my last mask, they were no longer able to provide the high index glass with astigmatism + bifocals. Their work was fine, but the bonded lens was just too thick; mask was an Atomics Frameless - ultra low volume. Turns out I didn't like the mask, and replaced it after only a month or two - expensive evaluation.

My most recent was to use Seavision. You DO NOT have to purchase a mask from them, at least 18 months ago. I sent them an XS Scuba Z-Duo. They made a full replacement lens, and I'm very happy. Lightweight, no bonding. I wasn't too concerned about the plastic - I always put my mask in a mask box, so it's never lying around. Interestingly, the bi-focal are cut onto the outside of the lens, not inside, so, they (the bifocal part) is only effective under water - weird, but it works.

There was a problem when I first received the mask back from Seavision - it leaked. Not a happy camper, but sent back and they resolved quickly.

For reference, I'm a -5.25, with a -1.50 astigmatism, and a +3 bifocal.

I'm kicking around whether to have new lenses ground or just buy a Zeagle Ebon mask, which accepts replacement diopter lenses. If I have a set ground, it will cost $140 plus the mask. If I get the Zeagle mask, the LDS stocks the drop in diopters and I can be out the door for about $100, including the mask. My eyes are - 400 and -450 with astigmatism of -125 and -075. The diopter lenses for the Zeagle don't have the correction for the astigmatism and I'm not sure how much that will effect my vision, but I'd sure like to save a 100 bucks.

I got my seavision through a shop three years ago with my bifocal script. They were fast and accurate. Lenses are bonded. First prescription dive mask was from scubaoptics. Again good service and high quality. Only complaint was I could see better with it under water and on land better than the damn eyeglasses I paid more for! Good to know about Dr. Maggiore. will keep him in mind for the next one.

+1 for Leonard Maggiore. His turnaround time, quality of work, and professionalism in fitting lenses to my wife's mask were outstanding. His reputation is well deserved.

Dr. Leonard Maggiore was advertising in the early 60's in Skin Diver magazine.
Glad to hear he's still around.
Jerry

Well I got my mask from "prescription dive mask" (see attached photos). The craftsmanship is very good. I know that grinding glass lenses can be a bit tricky. I can see clearly underwater now. They recommended hi-index lenses for astigmatism of -4.0 on both eyes with sphere of +1.0. The service was excellent, like the people you meet in a small countryside shop. A large company would never answer all your detailed questions.

My eyelashes didnt touch the inside of the mask. You might get some problems if you choose a very low volume mask and the lens is very thick - keep this in mind.

Apparently Seavision only works with certain types of masks. They said they couldnt work with the "Cressi big eyes evolution crystal" although this mask has replaceable lenses. Maybe its because of my high prescription and the plastic would be too thick.

I am happy with my very first Prescription mask. I should have done this sooner. However I should have purchased an all black mask like my last one - Cressi Occhio Plus. I am getting a lot of light reflection from the sides of the clear mask. I am in tropical waters so there is lots of sunlight.

outside.jpginside.jpg

Seavision offers good optics for a reasonable cost. You do not have to use one of their mask, you can send in your own. Their masks fit a wide variety of folks though. Another option is disposible contacts. Hated them and avoided them for years, but they are better now and more comfortable. I dive with one contact (called monovision though it looks great to me and I can read my guages without help with the other eye). This options allows for great above and underwater vision.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom