Prescott Docks...float needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bolts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Asking those who have dove at the Prescott Docks...is a float needed/required? I've never dove here and am thinking of possibly doing a dive there in the next little while....myself and another fellow freediver are considering the trip.

What about up the road/river at the Rothesay? Would this be possible to see, or worthwhile, freediving?

Prescott docks - I haven't used a float - but if you intend to go out near the channel, it would be a good idea.

Rothesay - Never used a float there either. We haven't used a flag on shore dives for years - used to get buzzed by jetskiis. There probably won't be line or wreck markers there for awhile.

For myself. We've had our float/flag buzzed bu PWC and larger boats. They see something on the water and come in close to check it out. I know at least 2 people that have had them "picked up". One was released as soon as the boater realized it was 'attached' to something. The other diver had to release his reel or face a rapid ascent. He looked for, but (fortunately?) didn't locate the boater who had his flag.
As a result, we rarely use anymore, unless we're someplace like Tobermory that requires it.

I did a solo dive at the Prescott docks last weekend (infront of the old fort) if that's the same area as your asking? No float is required, 20' - 25' max, 35 deg but major silt which compares to Innerkip for those familar with Innerkip. Although not knowing the area I didn't venture to far out from shore..

Alfred.E:
I did a solo dive at the Prescott docks last weekend (infront of the old fort) if that's the same area as your asking?

I don't think this is the same spot, but you're pretty close! IIRC, the spot directly in front of the fort is just East of the marina, whereas the spot I'm referring to is just West of the marina. Is the place you're referring to the spot where there's big pieces of old wood sticking out of the water?

What was the water temp, if you know? Thanks!

I don't think this is the same spot, but you're pretty close! IIRC, the spot directly in front of the fort is just East of the marina, whereas the spot I'm referring to is just West of the marina. Is the place you're referring to the spot where there's big pieces of old wood sticking out of the water?

Are you talking about the Scuba park? Out in front of the parking lot with the anchors and the strairs and the old sailing boat hull out the furthest at 42 feet down? We did a dive there last year and just floated a wee inflatable flag as we ended up turning it into a partial night dive. There is a tourist ferry that ties up at the next dock over so we also put the flag out so they would know there were some lads underwater.

It is a "SCUBA PARK" so the boaters know people could be in the water so flying a flag would be better safe than sorry.

The Horn:
It is a "SCUBA PARK" so the boaters know people could be in the water so flying a flag would be better safe than sorry.

I think you over estimate the average boater (and I say that as a boat owner of many years). Majority of them don't even know what a 'scuba flag' (red with diagonal white stripe) is or means, not do they recognize and respect an Alpha flag. Maybe the local in Prescott and above average, but I wouldn't count on it.

Like I said, power boaters were not our concern as much as the Ferrry that was in and out a few times the day we dove. The only spot of concern is out at the sunken sail boat where you are out in the current. My buddy and I both carry lift/signal bags so if you have one of those I wouldn't worrry about the flag. Bunch of kids swimming off the dock might cause more grief. if you go in the summer.

There is a boat launch ramp there as well.

Wish they had better ways to fine or punish unsafe boaters who ignore safety markers such as dive flags. The sea way is super saturated with divers/charters during the summer months so boaters have no real excuss for not being familliar with the blue and white ALPHA flag or the red and white.:05:

The Horn:
Wish they had better ways to fine or punish unsafe boaters who ignore safety markers such as dive flags. The sea way is super saturated with divers/charters during the summer months so boaters have no real excuse for not being familiar with the blue and white ALPHA flag or the red and white.:05:

I agree. First the dive flag need some legal status that requires boaters to respect it. Of course, that means they'd likely legislate us into have to have one, like diving in Toby.
From a boaters perspective, most of the floats/flags are too small to be seen from a reasonable distance, especially if the boat is upwind or downwind, I think that's why we see so many coming in to investigate. It's hard to see 12" square from a 400 to 500 hundred feet when you know it should be there and are looking for it, not going to see it at all if it's not expected. Two summers ago we had some sailboats mistake our dive flag for the turning mark in a race which was about 200 yards further West. They realized their error about 200 feet away (and I'd expect they weren't happy as they had to tack back out and cover extra distance to make the correct mark). With one of them, you'd have no engine noise to alert you to their presence and keels can be 8 feet or more deep.
I dive with the idea they don't know I'm there and won't see me.
Dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom