Prep prescription mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIdiverMike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Really excited to be getting (today hopefully) a new Atomic subframe mask with prescription lenses. Does that eliminate the need to prep the mask with toothpaste to avoid fogging? Probably wouldn't hurt, even if unnecessary right?

I have 2 masks with prescription lenses, Tusa and DiveRite, and both needed to be prepped. I doubt it took longer than a few minutes per lens so not a big deal. Enjoy your new mask. :)

...Does that eliminate the need to prep the mask with toothpaste to avoid fogging?...

Yes because the prescription lenses were not exosed mold release. I would not rub the new lenses with tooth paste as it will produce a lower polish than as delivered. The mold release would have been cleaned off the mask's glass before the lenses were applied.

Some Maufacturers recommend NOT doing the toothpaste, something about taking off the antifog, Check first and good luck

Yes because the prescription lenses were not exosed mold release. I would not rub the new lenses with tooth paste as it will produce a lower polish than as delivered. The mold release would have been cleaned off the mask's glass before the lenses were applied.

Interesting. This is contrary to my experience with prescription lenses supplied by Fill Express and Scuba Toys. Both sets of lenses fogged up without proper prepping. As for the finish on the lenses, I haven't noticed any decrease in polish on the lenses.

Are these pre-ground lenses from Atomic, or lenses you're getting put in by some third party? Perhaps you should ask them, since the answer is probably "it depends."

or you could always dive it once and see if it fogs...

Interesting. This is contrary to my experience with prescription lenses supplied by Fill Express and Scuba Toys. Both sets of lenses fogged up without proper prepping. As for the finish on the lenses, I haven't noticed any decrease in polish on the lenses.

I suppose the correct answer may be process specific. I specifically discussed the issue with the optician at Scuba Vision in Ukiah, California that made mine. They bond the lenses to the glass using a clear adhesive. I forget the cleaning process but it was solvent based. The lenses themselves should be free of residue after the grinding process unless maybe they are production plastic lenses of a standard diopter. My lenses are bifocal so had to be made.

Scuba Vision - Custom Prescription Scuba Masks

Like the OP, I dive with Atomic's SubFrame masks with prescription lenses. At this point, I'm either on my second or third generation of these masks as I get a new one every two years when I get a new prescription.

Just to be on the safe side, I scrub the heck out of the mask lenses with toothpaste before sending the mask off to Prescription Dive Mask to be fitted with bifocal prescription lenses. Once I get the mask back, I find it will still fog up for the first dive or two, including the bifocal lenses, unless I use a pretty fair amount of defogger. Then not so much after that.

That's just been my experience and, as always, ymmv.

I have the sub-frame mask with prescription lenses. From what I was told, Atomic has someone that they use to do the lenses. When I got my mask, I scrubbed it with soap to clean any oils of of the skirt and anything on the lenses. I then went over it with toothpaste, just to make sure, and for that minty smell.:D

I would caution on using anything too abrasive, but I was told to clean prior to use. I use an anti-fog on the mask prior to my dives also, no fogging so far.

I was told by the guys that did my mask that did the prescription on my mask that any film should have been removed in the bonding process and not to use toothpaste. Can use defogger though.

My prescription mask changed my whole experience. Got it at dive-vision.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom