Preferred weight configuration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When diving double 80's I use v-weights. They are little triangular things that sit between the wing and the tanks. For a single 80 I either use a regular weight belt or a harness depending on how much lead I need (I have no hips, anything over 6 lbs and I need the harness).

Of course for my 104's, I don't need any lead.

when i use double LP 80's and a steel plate, i need no extra weight

when i use a single AL 80 and a steel plate, i usually put two pounds on pockets
that i attach to the tank straps (one pound on either side, to balance it out. they both go on the top tank strap)

it works very well for me

I personally use weight pockets when diving singles, but I'll be the first to admit they're unreliable. One time they fell out while I was inverted, I later modified them to try and prevent that.

A weight belt with at least a few pounds on it is a good idea in open water, as a safety concern. Otherwise it's whatever it takes to get you properly trimmed out.

With a single tank a weight belt, didn't work for me. I just kept falling over. I attached a tank strap with weights on the bottom of my tank.

E.

It obviously depends on the tank used and the exposure protection but I have a few different setups that I use for the diving that I do.

With an AL 80, bp/wing and the lower half of my 7 mil wet suit. In this case I thread 2, two pounders right onto the upper cam band and need no other weight.

With the full 2 piece 7 mil suit and the AL 80 I add a few pounds on a belt.

Using my double 104's and a dry suit, I don't need any extra weight at all.

It's been so long since I dived a dry suit with a single tank that I don't know what I used without looking way back in my logbook. If I did it again though, I'd use a steel tank.

though, I've been meaning to, I haven't double up any AL tanks so I don't have a setup for that.

Using a single AL80 (SS backplate) with a Bare nexgen suit I found that I need to carry a fair bit of weight. After fighting with weightbelts a bit I ended purchasing a DUI Weight & Trim II harness. It's a very nice setup and has made thing soo much more comfortable.

My $0.02

Bjorn

Steel tank, steel BP, 7mm suit no weight. AL80, no suit, steel BP I am overweighted.
Everyone I know that needs weights uses belt or camband/tank mount.

With my 7mm, hood, boots, gloves (my typical dive configuration if I'm going very deep at all in the local quarries) and a single AL80, along with my backplate I have the 5 lb DSS Weight Plates and I also use a DUI Weight and Trim II harness for any additional weight. I use 14 lbs total with my 7mm and that's 5 lbs in the plate itself, 5 lb weight plates and 4 lbs in the weight harness.

If I'm diving my 3mm (and boots, gloves, hood), I'll take off the 5 lb weight plates and dive with what's left (5 lb plate and 4 lbs in the harness).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom