Preferred Dry Suit Vent Location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigTuna

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Where does DIR prefer the dry suit vent to be located?

:canofworms:

According to JJ on Quest fairly recently, it is the upper left outside shoulder. Some experimentation was done with forearm mounted and right shoulder mounted dumps, but the concensus was that those locations caused more problems than they solved. I have mine on my forearm, and I agree....the shoulder is a better location.

I also agree with Aaron. I bought my drysuit used and it came with a cuff dump, and I'd much rather prefer it be on the shoulder.

I still prefer it slightly farther down the arm above the elbow as shown on the WKPP site. Barry is pictured with this location. Actual location seems to be at the whim of DUI.

Soggy:
:canofworms:

According to JJ on Quest fairly recently, it is the upper left outside shoulder. Some experimentation was done with forearm mounted and right shoulder mounted dumps, but the concensus was that those locations caused more problems than they solved. I have mine on my forearm, and I agree....the shoulder is a better location.

BigTuna:

Upper arm between shoulder and elbow. Basically, standard old DUI placement. Left or right is not that big of deal but most people have left since this is what the DS makers do and for newer divers it is easier to get used to since it is the same side as the inflate/ deflate hose. We experimented with right shoulder and it is very slightly marginally better for scooter. However, I have both and it is a pain to remember which arm it is on. Consistency is more important. Right vent makes manual and "encouraged" automatic dumps slightly easier while scootering without coming off the trigger. But, not enough to be worth having differing suits.

BigTuna:

I wonder whether anyone has even experimented with vents in both the legs (near the turbosoles). It seems the more logical place if you look at the horizontal position in the water we like to dive...

Reinoud:
I wonder whether anyone has even experimented with vents in both the legs (near the turbosoles). It seems the more logical place if you look at the horizontal position in the water we like to dive...

Since your legs are your highest point when in proper trim, it seems as though it would constantly vent in that position.

Reinoud:
You must be joking :D It would be extremly hard to open-close vent and to keep any air in suit.

When I bought my suit it had a cuff dump. I had a shoulder dump installed. I use that now and rarely use the cuff dump. I don't any problems with it unless I'm in a verticle postion, which I rarely am. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom