Preferred choices for backplate and wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Choosing a backplate and wing has proven to be a daunting task and has not actually yielded any conclusion yet. I have either had to borrow or rent. So many differing opinions and valid points but I was hoping that some of you could shed some light on what you would say are the brands for tech BC systems. I have narrowed down some possibilities: the Halcyon Explorer/Evolve wings and the Dive Rite Classic XT wing look to be very robust and efficient designs. I have dived on the Halcyon Explorer but not on Dive Rite as of yet. As for Apeks, I love their regs but I am not too familar with their BC's

Could anyone provide me with some insight into both of these as well as mention some other options as well? In terms of harnesses and backplates, I prefer the minimalist nylon webbing design as well as SS backplates. So whichever wing is considered the best will be the brand I most likely will get a harness and backplate from as well.

I have only recently entered the world of tech diving so if some of my questions may seem a bit obvious or I am not offering enough information then please let me know and I will provide you with as much info as I can.

Thank you for your time, guys.

do you have any pricing benefits from any of the brands? Can't go wrong with either of them from a quality or support standpoint. Oxycheq should get a look as well.

do you have any pricing benefits from any of the brands? Can't go wrong with either of them from a quality or support standpoint. Oxycheq should get a look as well.

Hey Tom, hope you have been well. No, either option will cost an almost identical amount. I did have a look at Oxycheq as well as OMS, while their gear is impressive as well, only Halcyon and Dive Rite import here. So having said that, I could simply pick either based on looks alone if they are both high quality?

I actually just double checked. Dive Rite would wind up being a bit cheaper but if price is of no factor would you still recommend Halcyon? Regards.

if dive rite is significantly cheaper, buy Dive Rite, if the price gap is irrelevant to you, then buy Halcyon. My opinion. Can't go wrong with either, and neither will disappoint you, but I think Halcyon is a bit nicer

if dive rite is significantly cheaper, buy Dive Rite, if the price gap is irrelevant to you, then buy Halcyon. My opinion. Can't go wrong with either, and neither will disappoint you, but I think Halcyon is a bit nicer

Agreed. Good advice.

I dive an OMS SS BP with 32 LB mono wing. Diving it strictly with a single, recreationally and I love it.

I didn’t realize it when I ordered it from the shop but it came with an adjustable set up to run the one piece webbing. I have seen set ups like this online but didn’t realize that OMS had one from the factory. It’s basically a short piece of webbbing that locks down a rectangular ring that the main webbing runs through.

I have an STA with 2 cam bands and 4 trim pockets.

I went with the Xdeep droppable waist pockets for the hips. I like those over other options because 1) they have a piece of webbing with a grommet to lock them down to the BP ans keep them pulled back toward the BP and 2) the left side has a D ring on it so you have one where you need it on the left side without trying to get one on the webbing in front of the pocket. ( for me that would have put the D ring too far forward).

While the rig is about 7lb negative with no weight and the 4 cam band pockets hold 20lb total, I like to have some droppable weight and when diving a single tank with a dry suit and underwear you might need some extra weight as the tank empties. I can dive the rig with no weight in the pool with only shorts and a rash guard on with a full tank but need a few LBs on an 80sqft AL at 1000 psi.

The extra length of webbing that comes with the adjustable ring is a great place to put the waist pockets. So even though they are on your waist the lock down grommets help keep the weight toward your back.

Overall a great set up that I can change as I improve my skills.

...I have narrowed down some possibilities: the Halcyon Explorer/Evolve wings and the Dive Rite Classic XT wing look to be very robust and efficient designs. I have dived on the Halcyon Explorer but not on Dive Rite as of yet. As for Apeks, I love their regs but I am not too familar with their BC's...

An Evolve wing with 40-lbs lift will serve you well. Anything larger will just be more of a bubble to manage and create more drag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom