Predator v. Petrel, What's the Diff for OC divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guyharrisonphoto

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What is the difference between these two computers? Why are people seemingly selecting the Petrel more? Price difference is not that much, so what are the differences in features.

OC use only, no rebreather.

The price difference is pretty big I think, for nearly the exact same computer. The display isn't quite as good on the Petrel, but that doesn't really bother me. The AA batteries is a huge plus. Those LS12400's or whatever they are cost a few bucks :D

The screen size is the same size, but the footprint is quite a bit smaller.

But lets face it, if you can save a $150 bucks to get a computer that does EXACTLY the same thing as it's big brother, but in a smaller package with better battery options, which one do you think you should pick?

I have a Predator, my backup computer will be a Petrel

As will mine. Unless one of those guys who dives a Predator now switches and offers the Predator for a good price. I have no problem owning two. Other than funds right now.:D

Amazing computer, great company, a manual you can actually read, and classes on Dive Nav. Doesn't get much better than that.

I love the Predator and the Petrel. I am just now selling my 2nd Predator as I just got my 2nd Petrel. My controller on my rEvo is still the Predator controller (a Petrel one isn't out yet). So I get to enjoy both on each CC dive.

The OLED on the Predator is excellent, but the LCD on the Petrel is equally easy to see UW as well.

You can't go wrong with either; especially if folks are selling their Predator's at a reasonable price.

If you're in Seattle, WA I'm happy to meet you at hte beach and do a dive with you with either/both.

The Petrel can be run in gauge mode.

Have both of these computers, as well as the older Pursuit hardwired to my Megalodon CCR.

Predator screen is a little easier to read in bright light. Petrel is still very good. Both are much better than Pursuit with backlight and mono LCD display.

Petrel software is a bit better - new gas change system, centre line display options, and tissue graph are good improvements, but I understand the next Predator update will include these features.

The Petrel is a bit smaller than the Predator. The size was the only thing that I did not like about the Predator. The size difference is a definite improvement but probably not enough to make the Petrel a clear winner. If you are diving a drysuit or are not a small diver then it is even less of an issue. IN the ropics and with a thin wetsuit or a dive skin, the Predator seems like a bit of a brick out of the water, but is OK once submerged.

The Petrel takes just about any AA size battery and seems to have an improved battery meter. I found that with my Predator the only way to get reliable consistent battery power that did not result in regular (mostly) false low battery warnings was to stop using the recomended Saft batteries and use a recharcheable Aw Lithium battery.

Both are excellent computers, especially for more advanced/technical diving, and have a very intuitive menue system. They have the best factory back up of any dive gear I am aware of. I would recommend the Petrel because of its better battery options and smaller size, and lower initial cost, but a second hand Predator at the right price would also be an excellent computer.

I have recently heard that many of the functions of the petrel, such as the tissue loading bar, and perhaps the gauge mode, will be incorporated into the predator via a firmware update

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom