Free Predator (Arnold Jackson scooter) DPV (Gavin clone?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Does anyone want this ancient DPV? It was given to me for free with a pile of other gear otherwise it was going to be thrown in a dumpster. I was going to hang it up in my garage or do something with it. I hate to see stuff like this thrown away but I realize it's not really worth anything beyond sentimental value / nostalgia

I don't really know much about it but I believe it's a Gavin clone made by Arnold Jackson
Arnold Jackson (American Underwater Vehicle)
William guplip (sp?) sea horse technical systems

No batteries and I am not honestly not sure it even runs.

Pickup only local in New England but I could be persuaded to drive it down to Florida (Cave Country) in November. I just want to clear some junk out of my garage.
IMG_20220403_151117375_HDR.jpgIMG_20220403_151124846_HDR (1).jpgIMG_20220403_151131139_HDR (1).jpgIMG_20220403_151137251_HDR (1).jpgIMG_20220403_151152590_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20220403_151117375_HDR.jpg

So. That is actually an AUL predator that appears to have been molested quite a bit from its original glory. We have 2 in the storage unit.
They are large brushed motors with a rheostat on the side handle. This is a Ride on scooter not a tow behind, there should be a knee bar (hence the pipe on the shroud strut)

It’s old electronics, the boards are prone to failure. But can be ran straight out similar to the makos.

The motor is the same as the makos, just about everyone who made a scooter decades ago used those motors because they were robust and more or less bulletproof (when ran on lead acid)

I would take it but it’s a bit far and I don’t need a third unit that won’t be touched.

Kurt @ DPV Repair does still offer service to them, (I think) so that is worth something if someone did want to rebuild it. I don't know if it is an artifact of the photo but it does look like the tail cone on the motor is cracked.

Thank you for the history lesson. It does look like the tail cone is cracked but it is just the paint layer itself which is hard to see in the picture. I don't see any cracks when viewed close up, just layer of chipped paint.

I'll keep the listing up for a month or so but then it's getting tossed.

Thank you for the history lesson. It does look like the tail cone is cracked but it is just the paint layer itself which is hard to see in the picture. I don't see any cracks when viewed close up, just layer of chipped paint.

I'll keep the listing up for a month or so but then it's getting tossed.
DO NOT TOSS IT! If you're at that point I have some friends, I can arrange to store it at until I make my way that way, Or ill send you a crate to put it in and ship it...

Thanks Jona. I'll keep you in loop. I'll see if anybody local wants it first and I am driving down to FL in November but otherwise we can figure something out.

That thing is rad, send it out this way :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom