Prebook our dive package or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trt

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I'm going to Cozumel in November and am not sure whether to prebook our diving now or wait until we get there. One of the operators we contacted wants us to pay 50% of the cost now, is this normal for dive operators in Coz to ask for this?

I would set it up before hand, if it was me. Who did you write to?

I can't answer the pre booking cost, as I know the Operator I use, and she doesn't have me pay before I'm there.
This doesn't sound unreasonable to me though.

I mean I have already booked with Dive With Martin, but do I need to make actual reservations for the days we want to dive or what? Do we let them know when we get down there? How will they know to expect us? Sorry - I'm new.

My buddy and I arranged our flight for a farily early arrival and booked "on the fly" the entire week. The op only let us down on one occasion, and it was because we had been doing "advanced" dives all week and had planned a particularly advanced dive for the last day, but they had a group of beginners who wanted to go out (they only had one boat).
We had two backup operators arranged so we had no problem.

It probably depends on the season... we were there in March, so "traffic" was pretty light. I'm not sure exactly when "peak" season is, but pre-booking may not be a bad idea during peak. Similarly, a solid off-peak season may leave you with some of the smaller operators (like those we worked with) shut down and unavailable.

I'd make a few phone calls beforehand to see what's available, but I would hesitate to pre-book. You may get there to discover that you've pre-booked with an operator who runs the large "cattle boats" and you end up in a group of 20 divers on relatively local reefs and spend half the day on a slow boat ride, when you could be having a much better time with an operator who runs groups of 6 out of the pangas and can get you to Punta Sur in 15 minutes.

I say pre-book the diving so you are assured a place on the boat. I've talked to a few divers that weren't able to "walk-in" and were left on the pier.

Vacations are short. Dive well.

The more particular you are, the more important it is to pre-book.

If you are fine with diving on a larger boat with divers of mixed abilities, don't care which sites you dive, and don't mind ending your dive when the weakest diver runs out of air, then you don't need to pre-book.

If you are particular, a little research will lead you to a dive operator that will cater to your needs and then it would make sense to pre-book.

I don't think I did a very good job trying to answer your question. Do I get another chance?
Squarepants brought up some good points too.
When you email, or call an 800 number to make your reservations, do it for the days you want to dive.
That way the operator knows how many people they have for the boat that day.
When you arrive in Cozumel go to the dive shop.
Bring your C card, and if you're getting Nitrox bring that card too. Bring your money.
Tell them which days you made reservations for. Hopefully you received a conformation number or someone's name.
Then they will ask to see your cards, have you sign the waivers and pay for your dives.
If you don't make dive arrangements before you go, you have the chance of the boats being full when you want to dive.
Fall is off season in Mexico. But, that's not to say people don't go in off season. People do go in off season. It's off season because of the weather, and because kids are in school, and parents do not travel as much then. But, Divers go to Cozumel all the time.
Make your plans ahead to be sure you're diving!

trt once bubbled...
Hi

I'm going to Cozumel in November and am not sure whether to prebook our diving now or wait until we get there. One of the operators we contacted wants us to pay 50% of the cost now, is this normal for dive operators in Coz to ask for this?

I've never had to "prepay" for antying in Coz. Sounds like a ripoff to me. Who you planing on diving with?

James

I would wait until the trip to pay for this, due to weather or any other causes, you may not actually toake the dive and thenn your money is in the tank (so to speak). There are plenty of good dive spots in coz so you won't have a hard time during even a peak period to set this up. I would suggest when you arrive, check the weather for the week and set up your dive at that point.

hi there,

I just booked my dives for November because I will be there at thanksgiving and wanted to be sure I would get space on the days I wanted. They asked for the specific days and dives I wanted to do, but told me I could adjust when I arrive if necc.

They did not want any money upfront.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom