Pre-set Text Messages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basheirt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay... so I know there are a hundred+ things we can "say" to our buddies underwater through hand signals... or could write on a slate... or I could just learn sign language...

BUT...

IF you had the option to pre-program a variety of text messages into your wrist computer (like I can with the Galileo Sol), what might be some cool/important/unique kinds of uses you'd see for this?

I can think of several I would like to pre-program.

12:10    〈 ⊕ Negative 〉     〈 ⊕ Just going to peek into one more porthole 〉

12:14    〈 ⊕ Negative 〉     〈 ⊕ Just going to peek into one more porthole 〉

12:27    〈 ⊕ Negative 〉     〈 ⊕ Just going to peek into one more porthole 〉

12:31    〈 ⊕ Negative 〉     〈 ⊕ No problem making it up to the deco cylinders on 150 psi. With twins, that's ... well that's double! 〉

12:32    〈 ⊕ See you on the boat 〉

12:37    〈 ⊕ Watch out on the line above! Polaris missile! 〉     〈 ⊕ OOG 〉     〈 ⊕ CESA 〉

"I don't care what the DM signaled, I still have 1500 psi left"

"Please quit asking me to pose for pictures"

"Please don't stir the bottom. I want a picture too."

"SHARK!"

Reactions: Jax
"Did you remember to bring the beer?"

"f**k this, I'm cold"

"why are you following me?"

I had "what the f%^& is wrong with you" on one slate so long I could never get it scrubbed off. But I used that message a lot.

Even though the idea of predefined messages seems like a great at the time, you will not have learned the vital skill in effective in water communication with standard hand signals. Suddenly you develop a problem and you cant get message across because you don't KNOW how to with hand signals. This dilemma will cause stress and panic while submerged, leading to irrational behavior that could lead to injury.

I don't have a hundred things to say underwater, everything was discussed before the dive. We only communicate to navigate, confirm buddy awareness, indicate changes to the dive plan or highlight/address problems. Oh and maybe once or twice we give the "that was f@$king awesome" signal.

Hopefully this thread could be usefull to you, or guide you into expanding you "underwater language" with some know/standard signals.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/413985-signs.html?highlight=hand+signals

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom