Pre Nekton Pilot Cruise advice? What to do week before?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

www.freedomfilm.com:
Is that the nekton recommended place? We are going for an extra week so we are trying to decide on where to stay on Ambergris I think. But I just dont want to end up doing the same dives from there as on the Nekton.
===============================

Yes it is ...and I think they can get you a better rate than if you booked it privately on your own.

'Slogger

Would not stay at the hotel that the Nekton uses as a pickup location for more than a single night. If you want to stay in Belize City try the Great House, but I would recommend getting out of the city ASAP. Half a day or so at the zoo is excellent.

Would go diving/stay on Ambergrise for a rew days

Would visit some ruins Tikal is the largest site, but there are others all over the country. We went to Cahal Pech and stayed at a farm in San Ignacio for a few days. "Interesting" describes that trip. Hike down a cliff, swim to a waterfall, horseback riding, sleep in a tree house open to the jungle. No running water (except the stream under the tree house) no electricity. "interesting"

Placencia is a cute little tourist town, the diving is so so and similar to the Nekton diving, and you have to take a long boat trip to get there. Nice drive from Placencia to either San Ignacio or Belize city - Hummingbird hwy.

2/3 should be enough - I dive a 2mm shorty, but that is the minimum anyone dives. I have seen people in full 3mm with hood and gloves so....

The boat trip from Belize City to Ambergris or Cauker is a good trip, the flight the other way is also a good idea.

Have not been in the water for a few weeks now. Work has been in the way lately. My gear is in Victoria at the moment - hoping to get in the water off the breakwater next weekend, but don't think I am going to have time. Am booked on the 10th with Ocean Quest to do a dive in Dodd Narrows and the Sask. Really looking forward to that one. Hope the weather cooperates. Winter diving on the Sask is always a crap shoot. If the wind is coming the wrong way it gets pretty rough.

Probably the only time I will get wet locally in December - off on the Nekton over Xmas so have to work now to get the work done before I go.

This my third Nekton trip this year so not expecting too much new:D

Things I have learned:

Bring many bathing suits I take 4 - and pack lightly re everything else you won't be wearing much else.

I pack three wetsuits, two would be enough, then you are never getting in to a wet wetsuit. Makes a difference re feeling the cold during the day. Instead of being wet almost all day you are only wet when you are in the water - not while gearing up. Makes a difference for me.

Bring an extension cord with lots of outlets. The placement of the single plug (two outlets) in the cabin is not optimal and depending on what you need to plug in you might not have enough with only two.

Soft luggage is a good idea, then you can unpack and push it under the bed for the trip.

Relax, no need to jump in as soon as the dive deck opens. Hang back, let the crowd clear and then get ready on your own time, you will still have time for the second dive.

That's about it - the diving is easy, the crew so far has been excellent, the boat is easy to dive from and has lots of space to hang out in.

How long of an extension cord???
At least ten feet, it has to go from the far side of the sink, across the width of the room, under your bunk and up the wall to the windowsill to be useful. There's not a lot of other storage space except across the walkway from the sink.

sjspeck has it re cord length

Will be on the Pilot over Xmas - hope the weather holds looks good right now.

Re Belize not really we just talked to people and wandered at random for the time we were there, but we had three weeks. On Ambergrise rent a golf cart for a day - fun way to see the island. Other than that pretty much anywhere in Belize is interesting and relaxing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom